General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

World War 2 - Evacuation

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 4 Jan 2005 13:01

My father was evacuated from Manchester - Woore (Staffordshire) sometime during the War. Does anybody know how I can trace where he may have stayed?? Thanks

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Jan 2005 13:23

Archives of the local papers or old school records might help you.

Sandra

Sandra Report 4 Jan 2005 13:24

Hi Paul, I still have mine and my Dads ID Cards which is handy as he tells me where I was for a short period. I was in London and it was pretty badly hit. I was born in 1943 and bobms still fell for quite a time after. My Mum escaped with me and my sister b.1944 when a bomb fell on back of our house. I would try perhaps the Local Council Offices and they may be able to tell you which Archives to look in. Someone on here may be able to help further. Best Wishes, Sandra

Rupert

Rupert Report 4 Jan 2005 15:56

Paul I was an evacuee and I think you will need to get in touch with your local Education Committee naming the school your father attended . Failing that your local evening newspaper would be agood bet. Incidentally are you sure you have the right name where he was sent to? Rupert.