General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding definite proof

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Greg

Greg Report 4 Jan 2005 13:28

Hello, I have just got my Grandfathers wedding certificate, and it has the DOB of his father (Thomas Mooney). If you subtract the age of the father (21) from the date of the wedding, you get back to 1891. There were three Thomas Mooneys born that year but only one in Warrington (where my grandmother was born and where the wedding took place). So it looks quite a safe bet that the Thomas Mooney born in Warrington in 1891 is actually my g-grandfather. However, what is the age on the birth certificate was a year or so out? What if he was actually one of the ones born in Lancaster the year earlier? How can I be more sure that it is the correct one? What is another great source of infomation? 1891 Census? 1901 Census? Am I just being too pedantic? Thank god his name wasn't David Smith or something!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jan 2005 13:31

Greg You lost me in the first sentence - news to me that groom's father's birthdate was given on son's wedding cert.

Greg

Greg Report 4 Jan 2005 13:34

Yes, confused myself as well.. :) Too many people with the same name!!! It is the wedding certificate of my g-grandfather (Thomas Mooney) and his wife. It has the age of the groom as 21, which should mean he was born in 1891... So now I need to work out if the Thomas Mooney born in Warrington 1891 is one and the same. Cheers

Bob

Bob Report 4 Jan 2005 13:34

it looks like the only way to be sure is to get the birth certificate if dates match you will know. Bob

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jan 2005 13:35

I think your best bet would be to look at thr 1891 or 1901 census. It should give you the place of birth of each family member. Your Thomas could have come from anywhere as it was the custom for the marriage to take place in the Bride's home parish. The census will tell you. Good luck Jim

wizardprangz

wizardprangz Report 4 Jan 2005 13:38

if you can gain access to the UK censues then this is a great help. ancestry.com run a subscritption based at aroung £30-40 per quarter for their UK & irleand records which have the complete 1891 and partys of the 1871,1881 and 1901 censues. I currently subscribe to it. www.familysearch.org has the 1881 uk census for free and the PRO has the full 1901 cenus with a pay to view the images. If you have the father's name from the marriage certifcate other clues could be profession, both of which are on the birth certifcate. If you're unsure you could always check the censuses first. The birth certifcate will also provide you with the mother's maiden name. Hope this helps Helen

Greg

Greg Report 4 Jan 2005 13:40

Thanks very much for all the replies. I am still pretty new to this so haven't looked at the census's yet. I Guess this will be my next stop! Cheers