General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bedtime stories

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Jan 2005 15:07

Do you read your children stories, at bedtime or any other time? In the D Mail today is a piece about schools starting to read to the children to get them to listen. Apparently they are losing this skill due to the fact that so many young children now have tVs and DVDs in their bedrooms. All my grandchildren - first the three eldest and now the two youngest were or areread to every night. And also at other times. The four eldest now like books and the little one loves to be read to. One of my eldest grandson's first phrases (at 13 months) was 'readabook' all one word but he knew what he wanted. Ann Glos

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jan 2005 15:29

Ann My mum always read me a bedtime story and I continued with my own children. I nearly went mad because my first son insisted on the same Thomas the Tank engine story every night for 2 years! Once I'd got past Thomas, we moved on through the Large family books/Ahlberg Happy Families series etc through to Harry Potter and The Secret Garden and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I still read to my 10-year-old. At the school where I work, the children with most literacy problems are also the ones who are most likely to have a tv in their room - and more importantly, I think - parents that don't read. My parents had books in every room in the house and most shelves/window-ledges. We went to the library almost religiously. In virtually all classes, reception up to year 6 the day is nearly always ended with teacher reading either a complete story, or a chapter from a book for the older children. This is what happened in my school too. I do think listening skills are on the wane - but tv programmes jump about now, magazines are all written in little bit paragraphs and we seem to have constant background noise for most activities. nell

syljo

syljo Report 4 Jan 2005 15:30

I think all young children would like to hear a bedtime story. I know mine did. I also believe in children joining the library at an early age. Sylvia xxx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Jan 2005 15:43

I can remember being read to myself. I can also remember being read to at school and eagerly looking forward to the last lessson and the next installment of the curren Enid Blyton book. Children who don't read miss so much. I have always been an avid reader, both my children still read a lot, and, as I have said also the randchildren. My husband only ever reads technical magazines, never reads books, and I don't think there were books in his house, there certainlyw eren't any when i visited him in my teens (His family lived in Devon, mine in Hants). Ann Glos

Jack (Sahara)

Jack (Sahara) Report 4 Jan 2005 15:47

My daughter is now 7 and a very good reader. I read her a story every night up until about a year ago when she asked if she could read a story herself. This has just become the norm and now she reads a few pages of a book every night before going to sleep. I kind of miss not cuddling up and reading together but she got one of those cabin type beds last year and I think if I climbed up with her it would probably break lol Jack x

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jan 2005 15:57

I do think early childhood has a strong influence. My brother was read to every night. He showed no interest in reading and read only comics for recreation when he was little. Now he belongs to The Folio society and reads the most arcane, obscure books. This gives me hope as my own two boys would rather do playstation or watch tv than read. My husband only reads on holiday though. This Christmas he finished a book he started reading when we were on summer hols 2 years ago! But as anyone who knows me will tell you, I am addicted to reading. I always have a book in my handbag and walk along the pavement reading - using peripheral vision and the occasional check to ensure I don't walk into other people/lampposts! nell

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Jan 2005 22:26

From the response, or lack of it, it would seem either this slipped through the net or people on here don't read to their children. Ann Glos

Sue

Sue Report 4 Jan 2005 22:37

I always read to my children, but especially bedtime stories. When my grandchildren come to stay they always want 'bednight stories' as the youngest calls them! Even the almost 12 year old loves to be read to. I am always reading - anything and everything, even telephone directories! I have known my husband since he was 16 and never saw him read a book, just magazines and technical manuals. Then my friend introduced him to Harry Potter! Now I can't get him away from books, although he is much more choosy than I am. He's even joined the library! Sue xx

Joy

Joy Report 4 Jan 2005 22:39

Sorry, Ann - didn't respond because don't have children, so don't read to them. :) Joy

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 4 Jan 2005 22:39

I read to all of my children from they were babies. Three of them could read before starting school and my youngest, who has been the least interested in books, is starting to show more enthusiasm since starting school. Their teachers always told me at parent's night that it was easy to tell the difference between the children who had been read to and those who hadn't, in not only how quickly they learned but also in the children's vocabularies and language development. My kids have all gone on to be avid readers and they are always reading books. I think if kids see their parents read for pleasure they too will be more inclined to. Christine

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Jan 2005 22:43

Hi Ann, I've ony just come on line! I agree with everything. Me or my husband used to read to my girls every night, beds pushed together, lying between them. (often falling asleep) The eldest could read before she went to school, the younger I found out, could read before she started schol, but preferred me to read to her. After the first term she was on free reading!! Having worked ina school as well, I noticed that even when some children could read the words, they had no real understanding of what they had read. I would oput this down to not being spoken to - another important part of language. My grand daughter (2 and a half) loves books. She knows it's a good way to get attention - sidle up onto gran gran's lap when I'm talking to smeone and I suddenly find myself still having a conversation - but reading as well! maggie

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jan 2005 22:50

Hi Ann, so sorry, I seem to have missed this one, perhaps I didn't scroll back enough pages earlier! I was always read to as a child, and this nurtured my love of books. We always read to our son at bedtime, for many years, until he decided that he wanted to read his own bedtime story. All three of us are real bookworms whenever we get the chance, and every spare bit of wall has a bookcase against it. Due to concentration problems now, I only read fiction but it still helps the old brain cells to function! Our 16-year-old son was really excited to be given the National Geographic book on Space by my parents for Christmas!! Mandy :)

syljo

syljo Report 4 Jan 2005 22:58

My husband reads books non stop,English, German and Dutch. We prefer books that haven't been translated though. My son has hundreds of books, and whole collections of Penguin books. A bit of a sickness here I think! I always bought my children the Ladybird books to start them off with. Sylvia xxx

Clare

Clare Report 4 Jan 2005 23:27

I have always read to my kids.blackberry farm is a favourite at the mo.old books of mine

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 4 Jan 2005 23:31

I have always read my kids bedtime stories - the 15 year old objects a bit now though! lol. Seriously though I have always thought it was a nice end to their day and a nice quiet time for winding down. The teenager has always got her head stuck in a book - in fact she asked me to teach her to read when she was 3. And I listen to my 8 year old read every day. Jeanette x Sylvia Just read your reply. I used Ladybird books to teach mine too. Think they're frowned on a bit by schools these days but I always thought they were the best.

Mags

Mags Report 5 Jan 2005 09:20

I always read to my kids. Library day lunch was a doddle - they didn't realise how much food they were shovelling in while I was reading. Bath time, bed time, ANYTIME! Can you still get those Ladybird 'Talkabout' books ? - great way to teach comprehension as well. I read to my grandaughter too right from a baby. At less than two she could remember words to simple books and when I left my finger under a word she would remember and say it - not reading as such but she got the idea! Nutty I know - but when my kids were little - I labelled EVERYTHING - walls, stairs carpet, the lot - It was amazing how quickly they picked up those words without any teaching at all. Had to have a home visit from the doc once - he was fascinated and remembered it for the next time we spoke - AND he didn't laugh! He seemed to think it was a great idea! Magsxx

Steph

Steph Report 5 Jan 2005 09:58

Have read to my little girl every day, since she was 3 months old, she's now 7. She still has a chapter at bedtime, Famous Five the firm favourite at the moment! She can read it herself, but we still read to her as well, as I think it teaches expression. When she reads out loud at school, the teacher always comments on the wonderful expression she puts into the story. She doesn't just read monotone, word for word.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Jan 2005 10:24

Steph - ooh Famous Five, I loved them, and secret Seven, then later Swallows and Amazons etc. Did anyone read, or read to their children (I think it was called) The Family at Red Roofs? I loved that book, not sure but i think it was Enid Blyton. I am so pleased that the reading tradition is carried on, at least on this site, it does so much for the childrens' imagination. Mags, i too used to label everything. eldest child, our daughter could read when she went to school, son was not interested. By the time they were both seven they had both reached the same level in reading, (advanced of the rest of the class), so he had caught her up. Sylvia, Mine both learnt with ladybird. i think you can still get them. Thanks to everyone who has replied second time of trying! Ann Glos

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 5 Jan 2005 10:51

As you say Jude, the names have changed but it's still the same way of teaching. When they have learnt to read, Ladybird do sets of 6 books on 4 levles. All traditional fairy stories such as The Three Litle Pigs and Little Red Riding Hood. Some of the books they use in schools today have me quite baffled. They teach them 'big words' first such as astronaut and tomato ketchup before they teach them simple words like it and the. Did you know children learn to read by photographic memory? They learn to recognise the shape of the word and phonetics come later once they can read. W H Smiths do some great exercise books that make learning to read into a game. Jeanette x