General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help? Any recomendations on Softwear?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 4 Jan 2005 17:38

I have been a member og genes for nearly a year now and have not done anything to find out about my family. My partner got me a book for Christmas and I now feel a new year and a new start. I have an old out of date tree maker, but was wondering if you guys could offer some advice on software, any good tree makers that i should be investing in? I know i'm a newbie so please be gentle with me, its going to take me a while to get my head round all the research and graft that I am going to put in. But I have began to talk to relatives and have even asked them to route out all there birth/death and marraige certificates. I geus its a small start. Thanks M

Tudor

Tudor Report 4 Jan 2005 18:24

Mark Family Historian, and Family Tree Maker have both received good reviews in the past. Both are around the £50.00 mark, though FHM also comes with a set of CD.-ROMs.

Greg

Greg Report 4 Jan 2005 18:31

Amazon also have Family Tree Maker 2005 Deluxe on special: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00068P81M/qid=1104863432/ref=pd_ka_0/026-7899964-5054830 It is also a good place to read about the product.

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jan 2005 18:34

The latest version of Family Tree Maker (v2005) is excellent for both beginners and more experienced people. The Deluxe edition, which comes with 5 data discs, is around £29.99 (although I think PC World has an offer on). I got it for Christmas, have only been doing family tree since April, and have already managed to get my own webpages up and running. Hope this helps. Mandy :)

Greg

Greg Report 4 Jan 2005 18:38

Incredible, but both FTM and Family Historian are in the TOP 15 software titles sold on Amazon. FTM is 7th, and FH is 15th. I think Genesreunited (and the FRC!!) is going to be much busier!!