General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

schoolgear

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jan 2005 18:32

As my children go back to school I am contemplating the stuff they have to take. My older son is at secondary school, where they don't have enough lockers (and they get broken into as well) so he has to carry all his gear for the day (including boots on sports/training days) around the school as well as to and from home. When I was at school we had desks where we could keep it all and hardly any pilfering went on. My younger son goes to primary school. He also has a rucksack to take his PE kit (we did ours in vest & knickers), lunchbox (we all had school dinners) homework book (didn't have any) reading book (ditto) plus football kit for after school club. I just walked to and from school without any of this stuff. Are they going to build strong muscles and anti-osteoporosis bones or will they all need physiotherapy before they are 30? nell

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 4 Jan 2005 18:59

I think I will get a bad back when I am older because my bag weighs a ton! On Thursday I have to carry:- PE Kit Ringbinder A Textbook 8 Jotters And I have a shoulder bag so it must be putting a lot pressure on my shoulders, Lucia

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jan 2005 20:39

Nell, I agree with you, I'm quite concerned about my son's posture. He is studying for GCSEs this year, and although he does have a locker, they are not allowed to use them between lessons, only at lunchtime, and he can't use it in the afternoon because it is too far away from the coach park ... and he would miss the bus home! On PE day, he has his usual heavyweight backpack, plus a sports bag. I was probably at school around the same sort of era as yourself, and we too were allowed to put our day's books in a desk, returning to swop books at morning break and at lunchtime. My son is very tall, and we can see him hunching under the weight of his schoolbag. Mandy :)

♥ Katz

♥ Katz Report 4 Jan 2005 21:11

I agree, they have far too much to carry. My daughter started secondary school in September and is already on her second rucksack as the first one ripped at the handles from all the weight. People that have seen her on her way to school say she looks like she's off on a long hike somewhere, where she's all hunched over carrying this b****y great bag on her back. Then extra bags on PE days, cookery etc. It's ridiculous.... poor kiddies. Kxx