General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WARNING re spoof email about Ebay

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gerry

Gerry Report 5 Jan 2005 09:25

I received an email last night that LOOKED as though it came from Ebay telling me they were doing a security check and that I need to update my details within 48 hours. If you get one, be assured its a spoof from someone trying to get you personal details. Report it. Gerry

helenbell

helenbell Report 5 Jan 2005 09:26

Thanks for the warning Gerry Helen

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Jan 2005 09:33

There are lots of these doing the rounds. They usually say that your account will be suspended if you don't update details (I had one this morning). The easy way to see that it's not real is that if you click on the link, look at the URL of the page it takes you to... if it's not ebay.com then its a scam.

Gerry

Gerry Report 5 Jan 2005 09:42

hi Paul. The URL looked as though it was a genuine one with an ebay address. Can't be tooo careful

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Jan 2005 09:43

Gerry... the URL in the message LOOKS real, but when you click it it redirects to a different site entirely (thats what I meant to convey, sorry if I wasn't clear)

Scrummy

Scrummy Report 5 Jan 2005 20:01

thanks, I have hd a couple from EBay saying that my account has been fraudently used and asking for details, I deleted them, but glad to hear that I was doing the right thing brenda