General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HISTORY ERA'S

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 5 Jan 2005 15:33

If you could go back in time to live which History era would you like to live in and why. Sue

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 5 Jan 2005 15:37

I would live in the Victorian era. All those lovely long dresses. And travelling around the country in Carriages. When Ladies were ladies and men were men. Nowadays sometimes you can't tell the women from the men. Sue

Greg

Greg Report 5 Jan 2005 15:42

Knowing what I know now, ten years ago would do. Otherwise, early Victorian would be nice. The Empire and all that :)

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 5 Jan 2005 16:06

Victorian for me too!! ;o)

Geoff

Geoff Report 5 Jan 2005 16:24

Ah yes the Victorian era - a quick dose of cholera, half the children dying before their first birthday - certainly blissful days.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 5 Jan 2005 16:26

Victorian - hmmmmm No dry cleaners - all those dresses trailing through mud and goodness know's what! No anti-perspirant Umpteen petticoats, not to mention the crinoline! No central heating - all huddled round the coal fire getting chilblains Unsprung carriages and DAYS to get anywhere! No thanks - I'd love to go back to almost any era for a 'peek' but wouldn't want to stay!

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Jan 2005 16:51

Go back in time pre-antibiotics, tampons, ibuprofen, telephones, television, cinema, central heating, flush toilets, soft loo rolls... No thanks! It would be nice to time travel as an observer just to see what life really was like, but as Stephen Hawkings has observed time travel can't exist or someone would have come back and told us. nell

Daniel

Daniel Report 5 Jan 2005 17:02

I think it's a bit more complicated than that. If someone did they'd be locked away and called insane anyway. I'm sure Len has some ideas. He seems very well read on these sorts of issues.