General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

NOW WHAT DO I DO ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 6 Jan 2005 09:04

Hi Everyone, For the past three year ,as you all know,I have nursed my very elderly Mum.She died just before Christmas. I really do not know what to do with myself now. When I asked my friend Pat yesterday what I had done before this all began,she said 'You worked'-So I did. Sadly I am now 65 and I can't see anyone employing me now. I still have so much to give.I don't want to stay here day in day out. ANY IDEAS WOULD BE MORE THAN WELCOME--Are there any agencies who find work for retired professionals? HELP--Rose

Fairy

Fairy Report 6 Jan 2005 09:11

I don't know if there are any agencys Rose. Could you perhaps do some voluntary work? Jo.

PolperroPrincess

PolperroPrincess Report 6 Jan 2005 09:15

Rose..why dont you contact your local job centre and they will give you any information that you need. If not you could consider voluntary work which is what my mum did when she retired! Why not go to college and study something different? My mother in law does an art class and has found that she is quite a talented painter

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 6 Jan 2005 09:17

Morning Rose Sorry to hear of your loss. Well, the world is your oyster really. You could perhaps go back to education, or use your education to benefit others like helping out at adult literacy and numeracy classes. There's plenty of voluntary work to be had out there both at home and abroad. Whatever you decide to do though take your time to think about it. It's early days yet. Jeanette x

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 6 Jan 2005 09:18

Bless you!! I think the idea of charity work would be great for you... you don't have to work in a shop they need all sorts of help, from admistration to legal advise etc. Just contact your fav charity and ask for the options.... some may even pay you to help! Good luck sweetheart!

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 6 Jan 2005 09:20

Thanks folks-I have been on the web and signed up for a couple of Volunteer agencies and was thinking about looking at college courses. I do really need to work-I have been pretty high powered most of my working life and I just can't stagnate. Rose

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 6 Jan 2005 09:23

Hi Rose, I agree that charity shops really need volunteers so that would be a place to start. Our local council runs a "Volunteer service" where they match volunteers to people who need them. Maybe your local council does one as well. And maybe your local college does a course on Family History, I really enjoyed the one I attended. Gwynne

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 6 Jan 2005 09:40

Hi Rose. Try contacting the WRVS - they always need people for all sorts of projects. Your library service may need volunteers to deliver/collect books for the housebound. If you like the outdoors and animals you could advertise your services as a dog walker! How about becoming a Friend at your local hospital and visiting those who have no-one else to visit. A lot of schools welcome volunteers to help in classrooms or to listen to reading. My mother-in-law has just retired from the civil service and was at a loose end ... she has just got a new job! She is doing a job-share as a doctor's receptionist. Many places want a responsible older person who they can rely on! Good luck and remember to choose something that YOU will enjoy!! Maz. XX

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 6 Jan 2005 09:42

I am looking for something really new and stimulating.The trouble is that I have done a lot of IT courses and got my CLAIT-not that you would ever guess as I am so careless when I type on here. I already paint a lot and I do really enjoy that. I have a deep longing to travel, and would like to combine this with doing something useful. I will follow up your ideas Some great ideas MAZ Thanks Rose

Joy

Joy Report 6 Jan 2005 09:52

Would you be interested in PALS ? (think it stands for patient advisory liaison service) in a hospital, or driving people to hospital? Wishing you well, Joy

Eagles 4

Eagles 4 Report 6 Jan 2005 11:19

I agree with Linda from Bolton - I know our school is desperate for helpers to go in and do things such as listen to the children read.

Bec

Bec Report 6 Jan 2005 11:30

Sorry to hear you're feeling lost Rose. My grandmother volunteers at her local hospital, working in the cafe. She has also just finished a GCSE in Spanish and is starting another GCSE now. She is a member of a rambling group and they meet up several times a week for walks. Until recently she was the treasurer for her local National Trust committee. She's 80 on Saturday! becx

Jack (Sahara)

Jack (Sahara) Report 6 Jan 2005 12:24

Hi Rose, If you enjoyed your IT courses you could do Advanced ECDL. They are level 3 qualifications (CLAIT is level 1 and ECDL is level 2). I did Databases last year and really enjoyed it. Jack x

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 6 Jan 2005 13:24

Thanks everyone,You have given me lots to think about. I have also found a brilliant web site Gap Year for Adults-You can combine Voluntary work with a year out.I may like that.I've left my details on their site-Hugs everyone.Rose I may go Ramblin' for real

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 6 Jan 2005 13:53

Dear Rose Shop around! Have a look at what is going on in your area, but be careful not to commit yourself yet. There are innumerable organisations who are absolutely crying out for your skills. Believe me, a gleam comes into my eye whenever I learn of someone coming up to retirement! Treasurers and secretaries are particularly in short supply, but there are all sorts of other jobs too. Some involve a couple of hours a month, others can take over your life. The last thing you want to do is land yourself with a task you hate, so test the water carefully. Good luck B

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 6 Jan 2005 14:41

tHANKS bRENDA,i HAVE BEEN ON ONE OR TWO WEBSITES ALREADY AND ENROLLED i WILL SEE WHAT COMES UP-rOSE

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Jan 2005 15:24

Rose There is an organisation called REACH that finds voluntary work for retired professionals and experienced managers. 89 Albert Embankment London SE1 7TP (send CV) Fax 020 7582 2423 website www(.)volwork(.)org(.)uk E Mail volwork(at change to symbol)btinternet(.)com Hope this helps, they found me several voluntary jobs to choose from, all interesting and all using my skills. Ann Glos

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Jan 2005 18:16

Nudging this in case Rose didn't see my reply Ann Glos

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 7 Jan 2005 18:19

Hi Rose, me again! Just seen a website advertised about volunteering. Its called community timebank and is at www(.)timebank(.)org(.)uk Maz. XX

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 7 Jan 2005 23:11

There's plenty to do if one is reasonably fit. When I retired at 65 I scanned the vacancies columns of the local paper and got two part-time jobs in voluntary work and eventually re-trained as as counsellor. len