General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Kettle Advice

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 6 Jan 2005 14:53

I have discovered after mopping up water from my work top several times that my (just out of guarantee) jug kettle is leaking. I seem to get through kettles at a rapid rate which is probably due to this being a very hard water area. Does any body have any advice on reliable brands? Rosemary(Essex)

The Mad House

The Mad House Report 6 Jan 2005 14:55

i have a kenwood meatal kettle ive had it for 6 year's now i was a bit like you with leaking but my mum told me to get a meatal one you cant go wrong

Lindy

Lindy Report 6 Jan 2005 14:57

Rosemary, We too live in a hard water area and had to replace the kettle and coffee maker every year. The solution we came to is to only use bottled water and have now had the same kettle and coffee maker for the last four years. Lindy;-))

Jane

Jane Report 6 Jan 2005 14:59

Rosemary I'm just the same. We are on the third kettle after the last 2 started leaking just out of guarantee. My daughter has the same problem with vacuum cleaners. As soon as the guarantee runs out they stop working.

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jan 2005 15:00

Our water is very hard here and full of limescale. Besides buying a kettle with an inbuilt filter, we have a jug filter in the fridge and only top up the kettle from that. Since having the jug, we've not even had to descale the kettle. Mandy :)

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 6 Jan 2005 15:01

dave theyve just knocked it down to 1yr! we found that out when we returned a dvd player.mind you we had it 3yrs ago and they still changed it for a new one,but hubby had to pay the difference...£5 lol susie

Debbie

Debbie Report 6 Jan 2005 15:54

I always buy from Asda now, and keep the receipts, but mind you had a dvd player couldnt find the receipt but they exchanged it. I buy kettles irons and hoovers then just before the year is up I return them saying there is something wrong which is usualy true. and get a new one for another year.

Samantha

Samantha Report 6 Jan 2005 15:56

do what im going to do ditch the kettle and buy a water heater instead. cant wait for mine to come instant hot water for my cuppa what more could a girl ask for

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 6 Jan 2005 16:04

im gonna get the tesco value one we use a water filter jug for the kettle anyway as we live in a hard water area just bought their value iron and its great

Jack (Sahara)

Jack (Sahara) Report 6 Jan 2005 16:21

I bought an iron from ASDA, it was rubbish so I tried to take it back but rubbish isn't an acceptable reason. I'm stuck with it and have fallen out with ASDA! I have just got a new rapid boil kettle from Argos and i'm very pleased with it. Jack x

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 6 Jan 2005 16:42

Rosemary I have just thrown away my 3rd kettle in 3 years. They have all been Morphy Richards stainless steel ones and all started leaking just after the guarentee ran out. I am trying a Tefal one to see if they are any better. Jeanette x

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 6 Jan 2005 17:11

I bought one of the cheap ones from Tesco a few months ago and it has been fine. We now live in a soft water area so perhaps it helps to prolong the life of the kettle. My previous one lasted about 15 years and that was used in hard and soft water areas. Jacky

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 6 Jan 2005 17:42

We had the same problem till I got a water filter. We have the Kenwood one that fits in the fridge door. You can get them from Superdrug for about £10. The replacement cartridges I get from QD stores £3.98 for 3. (Check the QD website for your nearest store) Ok it costs £16 a year for carts but it saves the cost of new appliances, descaler etc. Its also great that I can now dink tap water instead of the expensive bottled stuff. Janet

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 6 Jan 2005 17:44

I only "dink" the water when Im tipsy!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Jan 2005 18:09

Have you thought of buying a kettle with an enclosed element? I live in a hard water area, and bought one after the (exposed)element in my last kettle blew up (very scary) I don't use a filter jug or anything (my theory is, it would be cheaper to buy a new kettle than pay the extortionate price they charge for filter cartridges) The hidden element means it's a lot easier to descale, and I've had mine over 4 years!! maggie

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 6 Jan 2005 19:34

I got so fed up with kettles blowing up the day after the guarantee ran out that I went back to an old-fashioned kettle on the stove - with a piercing whistle, cos I'm deaf and fairly daft too. So far, my steam kettle which cost £4.99 has lasted 2 and a half years, doesnt need descaling (but I'm in a very soft water area)

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 6 Jan 2005 20:10

Thank you everyone for your advice. My kettle was a Morphy Richards and came from Tesco. I thought I was the only person who suffered like this. I was told by an electrician that hard water should not make any difference. I can't risk going back to the kettle on the hobb, even a whistling one, as I need something which will switch itself off. I think its back to Tesco, and sorting out the filter jug again. Thanks every one, Rosemary(Essex)