General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The 'official' explanation of that Spurs goal ....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jan 2005 15:20

An FA spokesman after the game absolved the linesman of any responsibility for the apparently mistaken decision not to award a goal to Spurs after a shot from the halfway line crossed the goal line by at least a metre. "The shot came in from an unusual distance and as such caught the linesman out of position forcing him race back towards the goal as the play developed", explained the spokesman, "As he ran, the United scarf he was wearing under his shirt came loose and fluttered up into his face obscuring his view and preventing him from making the call. It was just one of those things." In response to further questions from the Press the spokesman explained "If they don't already have a United tattoo most officials on game day try to wear a scarf or a replica shirt under their regulation kit to show their support for the worlds greatest club. The linesman in this case had chosen to wear a United scarf, a common choice that is in keeping with FA guidelines. The root cause of the problem lies not with the linesman but with the players and management of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club who broke one the most important unwritten rules of the English FA: They placed a shot on target at Old Trafford. Martin Jol is new to this country and perhaps he s not yet familiar with some of our finer traditions. If he doesn't yet understand that for the greater good of the game visiting teams, by tradition, are not expected to try to score at Old Trafford then our officials are in a position to help Mr Jol make that cultural adjustment." Chuckling to himself the FA spokesman added "The goal had to be disallowed to avoid us descending down a slippery slope that would be bad for the national game. It's a fine line the officials have to walk. If they award a goal this week, next week someone might expect to get a penalty or demand that Van Nistelrooy be booked for diving. Can you imagine? That would just never do. No no no. Shocking, just the thought of it."

Bec

Bec Report 6 Jan 2005 15:26

lol.... I assume the officials not wearing Utd scarves must wear Arsenal ones? Becx

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jan 2005 15:28

Aaaargh Bec, pleeeeez don't use that 'A' word on one of my threads, you will upset me and I won't make nice comments about your photo (pmsl) Mandy :)

Bec

Bec Report 6 Jan 2005 15:30

Stu - you must be a Chelsea fan!!! Sorry hon' I know it's blasphemy. becx

Patricia

Patricia Report 6 Jan 2005 15:36

Well Mandy. That explains it all..My lot keep saying that the refs are against Spurs.... But hey are we the greatest team.. Come on you Spurs... Pat

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jan 2005 15:50

Notice it says they "placed a shot on target at Old Trafford". Singular, not plural. lol Maybe irrelevant, but I thought I'd mention it :)

Bec

Bec Report 6 Jan 2005 15:52

Paul - Are you suggesting they only placed one shot on target against Manchester United? or one shot on target so far this season? pmsl becx

Bec

Bec Report 6 Jan 2005 16:00

I'm only joking Carole! We're both anti-*******!! becx (red devil)

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jan 2005 16:02

I hate A***** too... Spurs I just pity lol

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 6 Jan 2005 16:07

All Lies.... The Linesman fell over his guide dog . E x

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jan 2005 16:35

Elaine lol! Chunky Paul - watch out mate, you're on thin ice now! Mandy (we wuz robbed)

Jean Durant

Jean Durant Report 6 Jan 2005 16:51

Mandy, Love it. I know I'm very cynical (life is inclined to make you by the time you reach my age) but somewhere in that explanation there is a teeny, weeny tinsy, winsy BIT OF THE TRUTH. Forever a Spurs fan Jean x.

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jan 2005 17:00

ime not a spurs fan! but they were robbed,by the worst decision,i have ever seen! bryan.

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jan 2005 17:05

as has been said before... its all very well for us with the benefit of several angles, camera's in elevated positions etc to see that the ball was over the line (well over in this case), but how was the linesman, who was correctly positioned in line with the last defender about 30 yards down the pitch, or the referee, who was almost on the halfway line, supposed to see ? As for Carroll admitting the ball had gone over... yeah right, NO player would have done that.

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 6 Jan 2005 19:27

I agree with Stu,,,why was he wearing a United scarf if he supports the best team in the world?

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 6 Jan 2005 19:37

Many a true word spoken in jest .......

Christine

Christine Report 6 Jan 2005 21:43

Just a small point but if the goal-keeper is a 'sportsman' why didn't he admit that it was a goal...a snooker player will admit to a foul...a cricketer will admit if he didn't take a catch..are there different rules for footballers or was he on a bonus ???