General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

4 months for drink driving?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 6 Jan 2005 18:32

Just been listening to the news about a 14 year old who was sentanced to 4 months in a young offenders institute for drink driving. He was out of control, speeding at 70 mph through a built up area, at midnight, with no headlights. He's already been disqualified from driving twice before and is a serial offender. Is 4 months long enough? Will it make a difference I wonder? How must his parents feel? What else can we do to stop kids behaving so recklessly? Carole

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jan 2005 18:34

He should have received 4 months for his first offence. Maybe he wouldn't treat the Law so lightly.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 6 Jan 2005 18:37

Stop calling it joy-riding - it is theft and should be treated as such. Deaths resulting from dangerous driving used to be treated as manslaughter. I know drink was involved in this as well. If he was mine - when he came home - he would not sit down for a week and under permanent curfew. I know you are not supposed to smack but when there is danger to life and limb I am old fashioned enough to believe that discipline should exist - not brutality. I would rather a child should have a tender bottom than do this again and perhaps cause loss of life. Ann

cazzabella

cazzabella Report 6 Jan 2005 18:50

My husband was watching with me, and he didn't need to say a word! I could by the look on his face what he was thinking. What was a 14 year old doing out at that time anyway???? If he'd been our son (and thankfully he isn't) he'd have been wishing he'd never been born. My husband would have grounded him, probably for a year - at least! I'd have been taking him to and from school and probably threatening to sit in every class to make sure he stayed there!

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 6 Jan 2005 19:04

May be the best punishment would be for him to attend AE AND CLEAN BEDPANS. hE NEEDS TO LEARN THE REALITY OF HIS FOOLISHNESS.As it is he will just crow to his friends about how long he has gone down for.He will swagger about when he gets out and be a local hero with his peer group. I have worked inHMP

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 6 Jan 2005 19:06

They can't imagine Sue,That is the trouble.Our Young Offenders Institutes are full of kids who cannot think anything through to its outcome.Wasted lives-Rose I was in HMP Service 16 years

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jan 2005 19:08

he should have got another four months,for standing outside the court smoking,as that too is illegal at his age. bryan.

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 6 Jan 2005 19:14

Sorry,I don't mean to hog the thread-We had a very sad incident on the Island on the leadup to Christmas.Two young sisters who worked in Weymouth were driving home in the early hours when some stupid little ---- thought it funny to lob a metal road sign into the path of their car.The sister driving swerved to avoid the flying sign ,lost control of the car and hit one of the few trees we have on the Island. We have the loss of two lovely girls and some stupid little tic who will never be able to hold his head up again on the Island. He lives in a small comunity and he will be punished by the Islanders for as long as he lives-Rose

Harry

Harry Report 6 Jan 2005 19:15

I agree that 4 months is a mile too short. He seems to be a little horror, but there is a saying that when you criticise the youth of today, you should ask yourself where they came from. Years of do-gooding have taken their toll on the last few generations. A person above said he should have got longer for smoking outside the court -you are too kind. Tongue in cheek, what about depositing litter when he had finished smoking his fag. Best wishes.

Rupert

Rupert Report 6 Jan 2005 19:17

So the"DO GOODERS " of the last few decades have finally reached their desired goal! Until law and order in this country is brought back incidents such as that referred to a13 year old brought to book for acrime which would not have occuredin my youth with abicycle. Why? Because in my day we were brought up to respect other peoples property and respect the law and our parents. Until the punishment is allowed to fit the crime there can be no hope for the future generations. There will be few families who have not chastised their children at some time and agentle smack on the leg at the apprpriate time would save alot of heartache in later life. I really do not understand the attitude of people whosay "You wont do it again will you dear" and the little dear promptly does so. This attitude is showing its ugly head day after day in our courts and what happens when they get outside 2THEY give two fingers and amouthful of "F" words. If some one on these boards can prove to me that the standards of behaviour are better now than they were 30/40 years ago I must beliving on another planet Control of the child does not involve abusing by thrashing but to beleive words alonedo the trick is utter rubbish. I realise that alot of people will say tut tut my child is not a tearawy. if this is so where on earth is the crime coming from. Discipline is needed now more than ever and thanks to PC and other forces it seems to have gone out of the window. I am saying that which alot of people would like to say but are not willing to put their head on the chopping block. Rupert.

Len

Len Report 6 Jan 2005 20:32

Rupert, Couldnt agree more, and couldnt add anything to your statement, Discipline!!!! Thats whats needed, and if it means bringing back the birch I'm all for it. Len

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 6 Jan 2005 22:23

The little toe rag should be given a ball and chain to lug about.that would slow him down a bit, never mind a tag.

Suzy

Suzy Report 6 Jan 2005 22:48

How about solving two problems in one go? Send all these young thugs to Sri Lanka/Indonesia/Thailand for the duration of their sentence. They use their energy and strength helping the devestated communities, and hopefully realise at the same time how bloody lucky they are!! (Sorry about the swearing...it makes me SO mad)

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jan 2005 23:31

Don't think Judge helped by 'naming' the offender.....you could see him swaggering and enjoying the notoriety.