General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

any ideas

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

The Mad House

The Mad House Report 7 Jan 2005 16:33

i need some ideas of how to get my son to clean up his room without shouting at him(we alway's end up rowing over it )

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jan 2005 16:34

Wait until he gets a girlfriend. That seems to be the only cure.

Jo

Jo Report 7 Jan 2005 16:35

Tell him all his christmas prezzies will be going back to Santa if he dont clean his room and make room for all his toys that he has. Father Christmas will be really angry if he dont look after things. How old is he??

The Mad House

The Mad House Report 7 Jan 2005 16:36

he is only 8 i'd be waiting a long time for him to get a girlfriend(or at least i hope)

Joan

Joan Report 7 Jan 2005 16:36

Bring him into the room ,point to the mess, point to the "bump" -say please? I cant really manage it.. In other words use GUILT. May be sneaky but it does work! Joan xx Not preg. but with a stroppy 14 yr. old.

Jo

Jo Report 7 Jan 2005 16:38

Get someone you know to phone him pretending to be Father Christmas, my husband does this to our niece when she is being really naughty.

The Mad House

The Mad House Report 7 Jan 2005 16:38

ok i'll try that one not sure it will work tough

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 7 Jan 2005 16:39

just calmly say...next time i see that on the floor its going in the bin.....then do it!! he will soon get the idea! xx

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 7 Jan 2005 16:40

my sons 25 and i still have to shout at him lol my dustbins cleaner and tidier than his bedroom! hubby has even threatened to get the shovel and wheelie bin up there,but still he doesnt listen,lol boys eh? lol susie

Mags

Mags Report 7 Jan 2005 16:40

I used to do a 'black bag day' not just in my kid's rooms but over the whole house. Given fair warning - everything that wasn't put away tidily and back in it's right place got 'bagged' and nothing came out of it until they had either earned it back or 'bought' it from their pocket money! Gawd I was a wicked mother!! Magsxx

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 7 Jan 2005 16:42

Hi Jo, we've just started a new regime with our two on this, as we (and they) are fed-up with their rooms being an issue. On a school day, when they get home from school, as long as their rooms are reasonably tidy they can watch T.V. until 5 o/c, then they must do their homework. If their rooms are a state, they miss their T.V. 'cos they're tidying their rooms. We just leave it up to them. Not sure what we'll do for the weekends when weather's horrible, but we're trying not to keep on at them. Don't know if it'll work, but heck - we'll try! Good luck, Glenys x (Just read that your son's 8; our two kids are 11 and 14).

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jan 2005 16:52

What a lot of interesting solutions! I believe my children's bedrooms are theirs - I don't expect the same level of tidiness as the rest of the house which we have to share. BUT I do think that as I vacuum, I shouldn't have to tidy up beforehand. So I tell them and if they don't tidy, I put everything in their wardrobes [quite large] in a heap for them to sort out. With the playroom, when they were younger, I kept lots of stuff bagged up in the garage if they weren't tidy with it. I might get a bag out on a rainy day, but if they hadn't asked for whatever was in it within a few months it went to the charity shop. nell

The Mad House

The Mad House Report 7 Jan 2005 17:01

i wish we had the room for a playroom helen but we dont

Sue from Wakefield

Sue from Wakefield Report 7 Jan 2005 17:32

A clean room is the least of my worries...I'm trying to get my 14 yr old son to actually like the feeling (and smell!!) of being clean....and to reassure him that NO he won't dissolve in hot soapy water!! Sue xx

Alice

Alice Report 7 Jan 2005 17:34

I think we must have it easy. My kids would think twice about "rowing " over it. Easy in our house, You do as your asked unless you have a very good reason. Otherwise sit down chat with both parents and withdrawal of TV/Computer etc privaleges. Or not seeing friends, cancel iceskating trip etc. Quick and Very effective.

Mo

Mo Report 7 Jan 2005 17:41

Joanne, tell him that you are taking lots of photos of his untidy room and posting them to his friends and you will put pictures up in the school letting everyone know how untidy he is, and the Head teacher agreed it would be okay to do so. Or tell him you are inviting all his friends round to see it. Good luck. Mo