General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Charitable Activities.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jan 2005 21:32

Firstly may I say a big THANK YOU to all those who have donated or are planning fund-raising Activities. It is great to see people putting goodwill into action. As a Trustee of one of Portsmouth's largest Charities I often wonder where the line should be drawn between Government Intervention and Public Good Will. Many of the Charities which exist these days are there to rescue the poor souls who fall through the cracks in our Social Services. We have no end of arguments between the Health Service, Social Services, The Council, and many others who all feel that Mr. X is the responsibility of the other organisations. Meanwhile we pick up the pieces. What is your opinion of our Welfare State?

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 7 Jan 2005 21:58

Jim, I feel that the original concept of the welfare state was a magnificent idea, but, like all wonderful things it has escalated into something just short of a farce. Those that really do need help are unable to get it (or perhaps unwilling to ask for assistance), and those that could quite easily help themselves seem to benefit totally from the contributions of others. A sad world we live in. Jacqui

Christine

Christine Report 7 Jan 2005 22:01

I agree - we have gone from 'welfare state' to 'nanny state'.

Christine

Christine Report 7 Jan 2005 22:06

I have had notification of my pension today - when I retire I will receive 44.25 per week.....anyone going to join me on a binge !!!!

Alice

Alice Report 7 Jan 2005 22:08

I agree with you whole heartedly. Unfortunately one of the side effects of this problem has been the rise in "Charity/businesses"(fake charities that sell clothing and other donated things for private profit but tell donating people its for charity) has been immense and these take money from genuine charities. As have small time operators who use emotive images and guilt to con money out of decent people. Its getting worse as well.

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jan 2005 22:09

agree with jacqui, it seems to me that so many of our welfare offices,are being sub-contracted out to private companies. ive done a twelve hour shift today,only to find a summons to go to court for £600 non payment of council tax. in the past three months,ive had over seventy seperate letters about this,every one with a different sum owed...the latest one dec15th,said i owe £130,so i payed it. now there taking me to court..FOR WHAT!! bryan.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 7 Jan 2005 22:09

Roxanne - tell Mum to reduce her capital (give it to someone else to "hold" on to on her behalf) When she has nothing (at least officially) then she will get a multitude of benefits. This is a well-known and well-documented way of diddling the system and there does not seem to be anyone who can stop it happening. A question of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" which persionally I disagree with, seems to be taking over the welfare state. Jacqui

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 7 Jan 2005 22:12

Jim, I was interested to read your thread. I work for a Charity that supports families with young children. Over recent years we have had increased involvement with families that in the past would have been picked up by Social Services. We are aware that Social Services are stretched to their limits and therefore many families in need would be overlooked without the support of organisations such as ours. It is not an ideal situation, but we aim to provide the best support we can offer and where possible prevent a situation from deteriorating. I think the most important factor in the current situation is effective communication between agencies, and above all remembering that the needs of the child are paramount. Best wishes to all those involved with ALL charitable activities, wherever you are. Frances

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jan 2005 22:19

christine,you will be able to claim..pension credit.. which takes your pension up to £105 per week,and it can also be back-dated. bryan.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 7 Jan 2005 22:27

Roxanne - precisely my point! your mum and countless others are existing on the bread line because they are honest. Those who are not are milking the system for all it is worth and thus depriving those who need it most of the most fundamental of help. I understood the Welfare State to be there to provide for those who are less fortunate than others through no fault of their own - but I do not believe it is there to help wasters and scoundrals who will not help themselves, and regrettably it would appear that this is the case. As more and more resources are poured into the mouths of those who could help themselves, the charitable organisations of this country are stretched to capacity helping the unfortunates who "slip through the system". What a farce. But what is the alternative to a Welfare State? I really dont know, and would be interested in any suggestions that could be put forward. What do you think? Welfare State or ??? Jacqui

Alice

Alice Report 7 Jan 2005 22:47

This is worth a bump

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 7 Jan 2005 23:33

Christine Perhaps we could pool our resources - I'm told I shall get £11.50 per week!!!! The only alternative I can see to our much-abused Welfare System is that of Compulsory Personal Savings - it works well in Singapore, but I don't know exactly what happens to people who TRULY cannot work out there? Anyone know?