General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Opening the door to strangers. How vunerable are w

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mommylonglegs

Mommylonglegs Report 7 Jan 2005 22:39

After reading Stu's thread about the Friends Reunited news on Sky. It has got me wondering just how many times any of us take such stupid risks. I must admit to taking two risks just before Christmas. I must add I do have a Border Collie who is alway by me, or in the lounge. An elderly gentleman came to my door cavassing for a well know Hospice in Newcastle. I was interested in helping and told him so. He showed me his credentials and I was happy. I asked him into the hallway as it was cold outside. He asked if he could sit on the stairs while he told me all about the Hospice.(Really felt like asking him in the lounge for a warm and a hot drink, but thought better of it.) I agreed and decided that I would contribute £5 every 5 weeks. Someone would call to collect. They have have done so twice now. It is all above board and I get letters from the Charity. Only a week before Christmas the doorbell went and it was a student type chap, very pleasant and dressed nearly like a snowman. Again he had ID and this was for The Red Cross. I am not very good at saying NO. So asked him inside to tell me more. Again only in the hallway. he did mention the dog barking. He gave me a little First Aid pack with a couple of plasters, safety pins etc. I must admit, because he had to have our bank account details to set up a direct debit. I had to refuse. As hubby would not have been too pleased at me giving our details. I felt terrible at having to refuse. but the chappie was fine. He did take back the free first aid thing which was understandable. I must add we have made a donation to the Red Cross since the Asia dissaster. Back to the Topic Subject. How vunerable are we all. Are we asking for trouble? I am really going to have to be more aware. Jernny xx

Mommylonglegs

Mommylonglegs Report 7 Jan 2005 23:15

Gosh, I am so stupid. I just do not know what to do for the best. I do not usually get anyone knocking at my door during the day. Not having made many friends that are into knocking on the door for a friendly chat and coffee. But my son's girlfriend called yesturday afternoon. Because I was not too well I was still in dressing gown, unwashed and hair like a scarecrow. So did not answer the doorbell. There was no way of looking to see who it was without revealing i was in the house. I felt as if I was comitting a crime, pretending not to be in. Just what should one do in this situation??

June

June Report 7 Jan 2005 23:31

I wont open my door after dusk, I have one of the spyhole things and I have a special lock (not one of those chains) that allows me to release the door enough to talk, so I would ask the person to return the next day. I dont think you can be too careful, sad to say but its a sign of the times. June xx

Louise

Louise Report 7 Jan 2005 23:33

If you're worried phone your local police station and ask for the local crime prevention officer to pay a visit for a security check. They give really good advice on the best types of locks, chains, peepholes and other security devices. They'll also let you know how much things cost and help you find the best solution for you. I've moved around a lot and always get them in after I've settled in, they help to point out really cheap but effective things that make you safer. They can also let you know about any particular scams going on in your area. Most people are really nice but there's no point in making life easy for the few nasty ones! Louise

Lynn

Lynn Report 8 Jan 2005 00:12

I like many others would not let anyone into my house who I didn't know but the thing that has always worried me is when you get these hawkers etc around showing their ID how do we know what a genuine ID should look like. We are not given any list to compare them against and that goes for any reputable organisation...IE do you know for certain what a genuine ID for the red cross or even the police for that matter looks like....or do we just take everything for face value...He's wearing a badge so must be ok...NOT ON YOUR NELLIE Lynn

Merlin

Merlin Report 8 Jan 2005 14:12

Some of these callers are "Professional" fund raisers,and are paid on the results obtained.They also try and get you to sign up to a "Direct Debit" which earns them extra commission.Personally,I give direct,so that all the money goes to the Charity Concerned and not to a "Profit making company".. Hal.

Lily

Lily Report 8 Jan 2005 17:20

We have a spy-hole on the door, also a chain - and I forget to use either! They were put on when we were burgled some years ago. However, as the most common ruse is to engage someone at the door while an accomplice enters by the back, I do keep the back door locked at all times...... Our new windows lock automatically when closed, so no longer having to mess about with locks, screws etc. What a World we live in!