General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tip writer needed!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Is it a bird? is it a plane?

Is it a bird? is it a plane? Report 7 Jan 2005 22:57

Hi all, I'm looking for someone who would like to contribute to the 'Essential' topics I've created on the Tips Board and Records Board. I specifically need a short, concise piece about adoption in 19th century. I don't know anything about the subject myself! If someone is willing to come up with one, please contact me. thanks Sarah

Mo

Mo Report 7 Jan 2005 23:00

Hi sarah I would be glad to help you. I was adopted aged 7. Exactly what year in the 19th century do you want to focus on? Also what exactly are you wishing to know? Im available as i said to help you. Mo

Joy

Joy Report 7 Jan 2005 23:02

I didn't think there was any official adoption then. ? Joy

Is it a bird? is it a plane? Report 7 Jan 2005 23:03

I've been asked to add something about 19th century adoption to my topic because, apparently, adoption in the modern sense didn't occur in the 19th century and there was no official 'adoptions' as such. As you can see I know very little about this topic! All I need (if its at all possible!) is a short piece of text explaining 19th century adoption, specifically if it exists and what we mean by the term adoption in the 19th century. A couple of links/books/mention of relevant records would be great too!

Mo

Mo Report 7 Jan 2005 23:08

Im gonna go look for you okay. When do you need it for? Mo

Is it a bird? is it a plane? Report 7 Jan 2005 23:11

Theres no time limit as far as I'm concerned :) Thank you for any help you can give

Is it a bird? is it a plane? Report 7 Jan 2005 23:17

I think we should probably also have a section about modern adoption, although thats probably going to have to be carefully worded! I'd certainly like to see mention of what laws protect adoptees and what official channels can be used, with strong encouragement to stick to 'official' channels.

Mo

Mo Report 7 Jan 2005 23:26

I have found you what you may be looking for. will send a link to the page via email for you ok Mo

Mo

Mo Report 7 Jan 2005 23:29

sarah |I have sent the link to you now Mo

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 8 Jan 2005 06:43

Hi, You might want to add that "nurse child" found on census means what we would call a foster child. Gwynne

Jean

Jean Report 8 Jan 2005 08:42

hi sarah if you google( adoption 19th century,) then you will find the information you require

Is it a bird? is it a plane? Report 8 Jan 2005 14:15

Moira - Thank you for that URL is was great! For anyone who hasn't seen it, its well worth a look. Visit www.geocitie(s.c)om/victorianlace12/innocence.html (remove brackets) Guinevere - Thats a really useful tip, thank you. Jean - Yes, I should have thought about that! Silly me!