General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal Mail CON?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Valice in

Valice in Report 8 Jan 2005 21:49

Posted an item to South Africa on thursday, had to take it to PO to be weighed and spent over £2 on the postage, the cashier put the stamps on and put it in mailbag behind counter. Yesterday morning got the item back minus stamps, saying couldn't be delivered due to insufficient postage. Mum sent a card to my son, she knows the stamp went on, yet he had to go to sorting office to collect it, as there was no stamp on and pay £1.21. Postman this morning said it was a common problem with these new stamps.

Valice in

Valice in Report 9 Jan 2005 11:18

So how many of you have had this problem?? Val

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 9 Jan 2005 11:34

Progress. Anyone who used to collect stamps knows how well they stuck, I seem to remember steaming them off Bob

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jan 2005 11:37

our post office - a small sub one - weighs the parcels etc and prints an individual sticker with the price on it - this is to the UK and also Australia. parcels to australia sent on a tues arrive on the friday or saturday yet parcels sent the same time to Newcastle, in the UK can take up to 3 weeks to arrive or else disappear And most stamps nowadays are self adhesive

Valice in

Valice in Report 9 Jan 2005 11:42

Funny thing though Bob, my hubby who collects stamps, can't steam or soak them off so easily these days!! Val

John

John Report 9 Jan 2005 11:53

Always take a receipt of the address and money paid. You can then go back to the post office concerned and get your money back.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Jan 2005 13:11

I have seen a letter in one of the papers about this. I assume that what you are saying is that there were stamps on the parcel but not enough. i would go back to your post office and complain, ask them if their scales are correct because this is possible what happened. With the single stamps coming off, my daughter also had to go to the PO for a Christmas card and pay £1.21 (or maybe more) for it. I am sure the person who posted it would have put a stamp on it as they posted one to us at the same time and pours was OK. I could understand a charge as they used to of doublle the postage but can't see where the £1 for admin goes - just another money earner I guess. Ann glos

Poolie Girl

Poolie Girl Report 9 Jan 2005 13:44

My parents also had the message about needing to pay £1.21 to collect a Christmas card - they ignored it and on 30th December it was delivered through their letterbox. Guess the post office have to do something with uncollected mail!!

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 9 Jan 2005 13:50

While rummaging for info on stamp gum found this These are true stories reported by CNN: A woman working in the mail room licked the envelopes and postage stamps instead of using a sponge. One day the lady cut her tongue on an envelope - a week later she noticed an abnormal swelling of her tongue.She went to the doctor, and he found nothing wrong. Her tongue was not sore or anything. A couple of days alter, her tongue started to swell more, and it began to get really sore, so sore, that she could not eat. She went back to the hospital and demanded something be done. The doctor took an X-ray of her tongue, and noticed a lump. He prepared her for minor surgery. When the doctor cut her tongue open, a live roach crawled out. There were roach eggs on the seal of the envelope. The egg was able to hatch inside of the tongue, because of her saliva. Yuck Bob

John

John Report 9 Jan 2005 14:38

Yuck too!

Valice in

Valice in Report 9 Jan 2005 15:26

Ann of Glos. I saw the clerk affixing the stamps, but somewhere along the system the stamps came off, there is a round postmark which looks to have been stamped over a stamp, as the correct shape is missing. With no stamps on at all at some stage, it was returned as having 'not sufficient' postage. Will be going into PO tomorrow. Val

Valice in

Valice in Report 9 Jan 2005 21:29

Barbara, did your sister lodge a complaint? It's not good that folk are having to pay twice over. Makes you wonder if it won't be cheaper to send everything without stamps, at least it will save one lot of postage!!