General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

information please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 9 Jan 2005 19:12

Can anyone help please I have a marriage certificate of my parents no birth dates and most of my family members have gone so cannot ask questions. Can you tell me how I can find their dates of birth,or will I be able to find something from their marriage lines ? I am new to this so any info would be appreciated thanks. Puzzled.

Val

Val Report 9 Jan 2005 19:15

If there ages are on it take the age from year got married then you will have the year then go on 1837online need to pay £5 for 55 credits not perfect but is a start

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jan 2005 19:16

Sandra If your parents' ages aren't listed (and I think they should be) it should at least state whether or not they were of "full age" (ie over 21 or 18 which ever was the age of consent when they married). You then look through the birth indexes of the GRO having done your sums - ie if they married in 1960 and they had to be at least 21, you would start looking for births in 1939 and work backwards. If they have fairly common names, when you get to ordering the birth certs, you can use their fathers' names (also on the marriage cert) as a check. Hope that's clear. For more info on family research, check the "Getting Started" section - scroll down the homepage to find it. nell