General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Re : Police Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 10 Jan 2005 13:02

Hi All, I've got a Great Grandfather Edwin Arthur Smith who was living in Bentworth in Hampshire in 1891. After this he moved to sheffield and changed his name to arthur smith but I don't know why. one rumour was he was a bigamist, however I can't find a marriage to confirm this. I think he may have been on the run from the police but is there anyway to check police records to find out if this was the case. If it is possible then do you know where I need to go to find out. Thanks John Wilson

Nerolee

Nerolee Report 10 Jan 2005 13:09

I was given this addy by someone can't remember who but it may help http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 10 Jan 2005 13:41

Hi David, I'd call that a criminal record. Gwynne

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 10 Jan 2005 13:49

*shakes head sadly* Gwynne

John

John Report 10 Jan 2005 16:44

Cheers guys and Galls

Rupert

Rupert Report 10 Jan 2005 16:51

John go careful if he left and changed his name cause he owed afine even if it was only 10shiilings 50pence it will be worth asmall fortune if they catch up with you lol. Rupert.