General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old photos in newspapers?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Neil

Neil Report 11 Jan 2005 17:58

Hi Does anyone Know how I would go about finding a photo that was published in a newspaper some time ago? I am trying to find it for a friend of mine but she was very young at the time & doesnt know what newspaper it was in, I think it was around 1954 in the village of Cawthorne south yorkshire & the photo was of a horse looking into their kitchen through were a wall used to be? any ideas much appreciated Regards Neil

Zoe

Zoe Report 11 Jan 2005 18:06

its very rare that a paper would destroy its archives and there is always a (long winded) route to finding the print. The main factor you nee dto know is what paper it was in and when in order to find out who owned the paper at the time - whether the photographer was a member of their staff or a member of teh publoc sent it in. Without knowing the paper OR a date its virtually impossible. Once you find out the date/paper you can trace forward the ownership of thepaper to see who would own theirphotographic archive now. Sometimes it can be easy and you find it in one phone call and sometimes it can take weeks of painstaking calls and emails I know - this is what I do for a living!!! Zoe

Simon

Simon Report 11 Jan 2005 18:09

check out the British Museum Newspaper archive at Collinale in London. There website is here : http://www(.)bl.uk/catalogues/newspapers(.)html It's a fascinating place to visit in any case (you could spend days there) On my last visit I got copies of the obits/funeral reports of many of my rellies - all from local Norfolk newspapers (up to the 50s) so I wouldn't be surprised if they hold Yorkshire papers too I aren't sure what (if any) services they offer for people who are unable to get to London. Most of their newspaper collections come bound in great big volumes, so if you're able to actually visit, you should be able to search through a number of year's worth at a time. Simon