General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A Grand Send Off

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 11 Jan 2005 23:00

see below

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 11 Jan 2005 23:00

As you will know, today was my Grandad’s funeral - and what a grand send off. There were 8 standard bearers and about 30 representatives from the Sub-mariners Club and Burma Star Association - many more than we expected. And what a great bunch of blokes they were too with their practical jokes, funny stories and rude jokes! lol. There were just a couple of technical hitches. The Union Jack had been put on the coffin upside down - woops! And my youngest sister who was supposed to be doing the reading was too upset so I filled in for her. Apart from that it all went well. Then it was back to the British Legion club afterwards. I met relatives I’ve never met before who were lovely people. And I took along some old photos of Grandad’s which were a bit of a hit with the rellies. And they were able to tell me who most of the people in them were. Isn’t it a shame that these get togethers have to take place under such sad circumstances. Jeanette x

Joy

Joy Report 11 Jan 2005 23:05

Thanks, Jeanette, for this. Joy

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 11 Jan 2005 23:10

Yes Glitter. My Mum got one of her friends to do it for us. My sister is a photographer so she is going to sort the printing and such out for us. My other sister had actually thought of it too but was hesitant to say anything incase we thought she was weird! lol

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 11 Jan 2005 23:28

My Mum certainly took some convincing that it wasn't strange.

Andy

Andy Report 11 Jan 2005 23:42

Jeanette, Glad that it all went OK. Know what you mean about how it takes a funeral for everyone to meet up again. We had two significant family events last year - 1 landmark birthday, 1 landmark wedding anniversary - and because of that, we made an effort this Christmas just gone to meet up, rather than wait for the next big event, or for somebody's funeral....and it felt good that we made the effort.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 12 Jan 2005 07:59

Morning Jeanette, am glad to hear it went well, was thinking of you, take care :)

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 12 Jan 2005 08:07

Hi Jeanette Was thinking of you , glad it all went Ok . Jan

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 12 Jan 2005 08:19

sounds like a send off to be proud of!! Glad it all went well for you. Pink xx

Rupert

Rupert Report 12 Jan 2005 08:23

Jeanette in Finland (so I understand ) they take photographs at funerals like we take photographs at weddings. An old friend of mine who had a partner who was from Finland had the funeral on video tape. Seemed strange at first but if you stop and think it is a memory of a loved one which won't fade with the passage of time. Rupert.

Sidami

Sidami Report 12 Jan 2005 08:45

Jeanette, So pleased everything went ok yesterday, I was thinking of you. Lovely for you all to meet your grandads friends, I bet they all had some lovely stories to tell you. How proud you must of been. Sue..............xx

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 12 Jan 2005 08:49

What a great occassion,Your grandpa would have loved it.I am so glad it all went well-Rose

Lucky

Lucky Report 12 Jan 2005 09:52

Sounds like a lovely memory for you all. A friend of a friend actually has a job taking funeral videos. A very popular thing apparently. I suppose like a wedding it is a milestone that some pople like to have a permanent reminder of. Diane