General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HAVE A LOOK AT YOUR BANK STATEMENT !!!!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

valinkent

valinkent Report 12 Jan 2005 19:00

I have internet banking and looked at my statement today ,i usually look every other day just to keep a check,and today there is a debit on there from STRAIGHT RECYCLING for £10.45. I realised i have had no dealings with this company so phoned my bank ,after speaking to someone in India (as you do these days) they could not help me so i asked for a number in England who could. When i got though this amount was for landscape gardening that i was supposed to have had done in LEEDS on the 7th Jan. seeing as i come from Kent they agreed there must be something wrong. They are going to send me a form and then they would refund the money. I know it is only £10.45 but it could be £100 next time. In the mean time i have transfered nearly all my money into another account.They did say if it happens again they will refund the money but i think i will change my bank account to be on the safe side. Val

Clare

Clare Report 12 Jan 2005 19:05

i would.bloody cheek!good job u didn't go overdrawn or u would have got charged for their mistake.thats what happened to us.took weeks to get the money back.

valinkent

valinkent Report 12 Jan 2005 19:08

What worries me is if someone has got hold of my card number,but i think it is more likely a banking error . Val

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 12 Jan 2005 19:10

Good job you are observant.I try and check mine at the ATM alternate days ever since a friend of mine had a huge amount go out of his account. Regarding the Indian link when you phone your bank.I had dreadful trouble when I had to phone the Bank when Mum died.The person I spoke to could not understand me,coyld not pronounce my name,even when spelled 4 times for her.She could not pronounce my mother's name which had to be spelled three times for her.She did not understand terminology like bereavement etc etc.I had such grief over it I made the journey into Weymouth where I dealt with it direct.By that time I was so mad I nearly Yelled'NO I DO NOT HAVE AN APPOINTMENT' When I said loudly 'I will not speak to someone in India about my personal banking' The whole bank cheered. Even the staff asked me to write and complain,they are as fed up with it as the rest of us.-Rose

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 12 Jan 2005 20:27

we've got something on our statement that i can't remember doing(by debit card)so was going to ring the back tomorrow anyway---either someone has my number or i've completley forgotten. a couple of years ago the same thing happened to my credit card but it was big amounts(£750 x 2and £500)but i had to fill in a form and it was all refunded Karen

June

June Report 12 Jan 2005 21:35

Val, I do internet banking every day, its the first job of the day for me. When they ring me up me up and I ask what for, they always say that I have to answer some security questions first at which point I say that they have to answer my questions to prove who they say they are. At this point, they always put the phone down. They certainly not to be trusted these days. June

Valice in

Valice in Report 12 Jan 2005 21:38

Sometimes the name on the statement transaction, is not like the company you think you've used, which is not a lot of help. Thought all 0845 numbers were supposed to be billed as local rate calls? Val

BrianW

BrianW Report 12 Jan 2005 22:34

I use internet banking almost exclusively and checking the account is the first job every day. Also do it for my mother in law. I paid a cheque into her NW a/c at Romford last Tuesday, paying in with her paying in book at Tottenham Court Road branch in London. The deposit hasn't appeared on her statement so I've been back into TCR branch twice and they say we have to go through the Romford branch. I can't get MiL's signature on a letter until the weekend (she live 20 miles away from us) so I can see it taking weeks to resolve. Why is everything so blessed complicated nowdays?

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 12 Jan 2005 23:30

I have to say guy's I had the opposite. About 6 yrs back I deposited a cheque for £3.27, but the girl obviously put in £327.00. I never look at my saving account, but always knew roughly what it should be. So it turned out.......I'm in the money, I'm in the money!!!! Kim

R.B.

R.B. Report 13 Jan 2005 09:26

Sorry to say i don`t trust internet banking after what happened to a friend. Lizz

June

June Report 13 Jan 2005 09:44

I use internet banking to check that the amount in there is the same as I think it should be. Thats how much I trust banks. June xx

Rupert

Rupert Report 13 Jan 2005 09:48

Under no circumstances would I use inter net banking. For security purposes I changed my 2 bank accounts and when iwas asked why I replied because I felt unsafe using the cash machine onthe external wall of the bank. The bank officials said that no device could be fitted whereby my card could be "cloaned" without their knowledge. Hard to beleive so I always use the m/c inside the bank. I also get astatement every 7to 10 days. Rupert

valinkent

valinkent Report 13 Jan 2005 10:43

Can i just say i do not use internet banking for transaction only to keep a check on whats going in and out this is how i picked this one up.As for the phone calls that i had to make yesterday when my phone bill comes in if they where quite a bit i shall charge the bank for them. I am one of the older generation !!!! and i cannot understand a word these people say on the other end of the phone, what is this world coming to ,when you speak to someone in India about your English bank account .?????

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 13 Jan 2005 10:48

Valice in Winter Wonderland think you're right about eh 0845 numbers but as Theresa is ove in Southern Ireland, a difertn system applies Shellixx x

JessyG

JessyG Report 13 Jan 2005 11:20

I hate ringing my bank up. i had to ring to set up a security number for internet banking and i couldn't understand a word the guy was saying. in the end i think he messed it up because i've only managed to get onto my account once since that call on the internet!! i'd rather catch a bus into the town centre and get a statement from the machines (when they are working) than ring a foreign country up again to sort my security number out.

Valice in

Valice in Report 13 Jan 2005 15:17

I used to work for a well known high st bank, and although I still maintain a modest account with them, I have been using internet banks for some years, mainly because of the better interest rates, and can also use the Post Office for paying in, which is more convenient for me these days. Val

Anne

Anne Report 13 Jan 2005 15:25

Val, was it Leeds, Yorks or Leeds, Kent? If it was the first I would suspect a scam. If the second it could have been an error by the bank. Not good enough though!!. Good luck with changing your account, it can be a nightmare. Anne

Tudor

Tudor Report 13 Jan 2005 15:39

I used to work for one of the High Street banks, and I'm afraid that all this shows is that they are becoming more and more greedy as time goes on. It costs so much less for them to run things via a call centre in India, or wherever! Customers are just there to be fleeced to boost profits!

valinkent

valinkent Report 13 Jan 2005 16:21

Ann the firm was in Leeds Yorkshire but i live in Kent. I am thinking that it is a banking error. I hav,nt changed my bank account yet but have moved most of my money from my currant account. Will let you know what the letter says WHEN i get it . Val