General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

20 week scan report

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 12 Jan 2005 20:34

Hi All Daughter Diana went for her 20 week scan yesterday. Asked if they could tell the sex, and they are fairly sure it will be another little girl :-) Only one worry is that they have told her the placenta is very low, and want her back again at 32 weeks for another scan. No problem with baby - growing well. What are the implications of a low placenta? Anybody come across this before. Pauline (little bit anxious)

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 12 Jan 2005 20:37

I think it may get in the way during delivery, or may rupture. I think and only think if it's too low they may suggest a C section. I never had this problem and my youngest is 6, so am trying to think back, memory not very good!!!!

Clare

Clare Report 12 Jan 2005 20:38

i had a low lying placenta with tho of mine.don't worry the majority move by the next scan.if it hasn't then its a c section,instead of normal delivery.luckily both of mine were born normal.the placenta had moved.its fairly common

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jan 2005 21:13

Don't worry. I had a low lying placenta which moved later in pregnancy. If there were no scans, we wouldn't know about these things - as we do, the medical people can sort out what needs doing later on. It's only a problem if it is in a position which means it is likely to come away before the baby is born, but hospitals are well used to dealing with these things. Although scans are fantastic - at my first one, my husband and I left the hospital absolutely speechless with amazement - I think they often give you something to worry about and usually at the next appointment it turns out to be nothing. nell

Nicola

Nicola Report 12 Jan 2005 21:27

Tell your daughter not to worry I had a low lying placenta that did not move, which just meant I had to get a c-section. Most low lying placenta's do moveback to right position! Hope all goes well!

POSITIVE Pauline

POSITIVE Pauline Report 12 Jan 2005 21:36

Thanks for the reassurances. I didn't even know that the placenta could move. I think they will keep an eye on her anyway coz Zoe (her first) was 10lbs, and she had a 3rd degree rip - ouch!!!!! We were there for that birth - fantastic experience. Lined up for babysitting this time though :-) Will keep you all posted. Pauline