General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do Office relationships work?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 14 Jan 2005 14:26

What do you think? xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jan 2005 14:28

haven't had one myself, but in my experience, no they don't - the problem is, they fail with about the same frequency as other relationships, butthen you get stuck with having to work with them afterwards. Two good friends of mine ended up hating each other after they split and it ruined a great office environment

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 14 Jan 2005 14:31

Thats a shame Paul! xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jan 2005 14:33

and of course when there's a "couple" in the office, they bore the a*se off everyone else with their loveydoveyness

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 14 Jan 2005 14:34

Can you get the sack for it? xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jan 2005 14:35

You'd have to look at your companies rules and regulations - most companys disapprove (for the reasons above)

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jan 2005 14:38

so the question is Steph... have you pulled then ? lol

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 14 Jan 2005 14:52

lol im always pulling! ha only joking, no i was just wondering! x

Lily

Lily Report 15 Jan 2005 09:34

If we meet someone at work and it's serious, better one of them finds another job, unless they work in totally different depts.

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Jan 2005 10:19

Office Relationships I have never got involved with anyone at work because I think it could be very awkward to maintain a professional attitude at work and a personal one in private. Too complex. I have worked in one office where a couple got married - she was 26 and very aware of being "on the shelf" (yes, really!) and grabbed the first available, presentable single chap, who everyone in the office thought was a drip. It was very embarrassing as they were rather gooey-eyed and we all thought he was trapped, but they married, had two girls and as far as I know are still happily married. I also worked in another office where a chap I shall call John worked with me - lovely guy. We met the lady I shall call Lucy when she came for interview and I knew that John was smitten - I could see it in his eyes. Anyway, Lucy arrived and we established she already had a boyfriend - though from what she told me about him I felt he was unsuitable. We all worked together and then I went off to get married without telling anyone - I sent them a postcard from honeymoon. When I came back Lucy told me she had a secret romance - with John. They had been so discreet that no-one knew about it. I was very happy as I felt they were very well matched. They both resigned, went off to see the world, came back, set up their own business, had two children - second one rather more quickly than they had intended - got married and are now divorced. At this same place we had a Chief Exec who had an affair with a member of staff. Typical bloke thinking with his willy he was quite surprised when he found out that virtually everyone knew about it. She was woefully inadequate and he promoted her beyond her abilities, which caused a lot of resentment, before he got kicked out for a different reason and she went with him. Before him we had a CE who was just called a plain director -- he had an affair with a dim blonde who spent most of her working day on the phone to him. Very embarrassing as we all knew apart from my boss who was best friends with his wife. Lot of fall-out from that. dim blonde ended up running another charity - God knows how! Director left and became an MP whereapon another affair of his hit the headlines... As to getting the sack - I think you can only be sacked if your relationship is affecting your work or if you are caught having sex on office premises etc. I think that would be construed as "gross misconduct". nell

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 15 Jan 2005 19:10

Met my hubby at work - I was his boss!!! We worked together for about 2 years, then he moved to another office. We continued working for the same firm for about another 5 years, until I left to have our baby. There were times when it was horrid - after a row for instance - and other times when it was great - we were both in the same business, had loads of mutual friends, went out loads after work with others from work etc. I think each case is different. Best to be in another department though - not sitting next to each other as we were at one point! Oh, we have been together for over 15 years! Maz. XX