General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Two eggs and counting!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Abigail

Abigail Report 14 Jan 2005 14:39

Yesterday I came home to find two hens wandering our close, so I caught them and put them in the garage. We have 3 very large dogs around us so they wouldn't have lasted long otherwise! They are very tame and have laid two eggs in the box of shredded paper I gave them to sit in last night. I have spread the word around the village so "Thelma and Louise" may not be with me for much longer but what should I feed them in the meantime? Does anyone have any ideas? The eggs were large, brown and made a delicious omlette for me and my little girl. We shared it for lunch. I will be sorry when they are claimed because I like listening to them cluck and talk to each other! Abigail

The Mad House

The Mad House Report 14 Jan 2005 14:44

we have chicken's corn is a good one if not veg peeling's they have to be cooked 1st though they also like bread crumb's hope this help's & you find the owner

Valice in

Valice in Report 15 Jan 2005 22:34

They like scratching around in the ground eating insects and things, no good at this time of year, but ours used to like eating the fallen blossom off the cherry tree. Val

Abigail

Abigail Report 17 Jan 2005 12:17

Well I have been mentioning Thelma and Louise all over the village but so far noone has claimed them. They are lovely girls and my children think going in to see if they have laid eggs in the little nest house we have made them is magical. I hadn't realised that I had never explained where eggs come from so I asked about milk and cheese - what strange answers I got! Then came the questions about how the egg comes out - I kept it simple and they thought it was quite logical and haven't mentioned it since. It certainly didn't open the floodgates to all the other questions I expected. Well not yet anyway. My son is probably mulling it over to catch me off guard sometime! I have bought them some "layers pellets" in addition to the treats you mentioned and they are living in shredded paper and sawdust. They don't scratch though. I did scatter the food to see if that helped but they just don't do it. Maybe it is a summer thing or only when they are hungry? We love having them - I don't really want anyone to claim them now! Omelette for lunch anyone? Abigail

♥ Katz

♥ Katz Report 17 Jan 2005 13:39

Wendy, good luck with your 'girls' I used to have chickens and they're great. Really funny. Also lovely to have your own eggs - taste that much better. Kxx

Abigail

Abigail Report 18 Jan 2005 09:26

I went to check the girls last night and they were both cuddled up in one of the "nest"boxes together and they only got out this morning when I checked them again. It is a nice sturdy cardboard box and I filled it with the finely shredded paper from my husband's study. They are in the garage but do you think they are cold? What else would be better for them or do they roost like this anyway? It was a cold night last night and there is a lot of snow on the hills today. Abigail