General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TV licences....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 14 Jan 2005 17:04

More and more adverts are on the radio about the officers coming around to check on whether or not you have a TV licence. At uni last year we had a big problem with these people. They wouldn't leave us alone! They sent letters that were 'final reminders', officers came around about 4 times and each time we showed them our licence, but they must have never updated their records cos they kept on pestering us!!! Just a little moan cos the adverts are doing my head in. What about those who are honest and have a TV licence, why pester them all the time? Grrrr!

Judith

Judith Report 14 Jan 2005 17:11

A couple of years ago I got one of their 'final reminders'. As I had always had a licence, renewed by direct debit, I phoned up to complain and was told 'Oh you transferred your licence to a different address last year'! She told me the address I had supposedly moved to and was downright rude when I tried to explain that I had never heard of that address, hadn't moved and it must be their error. As you say, Grrrrr! Judith

Zoe

Zoe Report 14 Jan 2005 17:11

when I moved house two years ago I wanted to let them know so they could move my licence to the new address. tthe only way they let you do it was on one of those automated hone service where you call up and leave you details, poscode etc A year after being in my flat I got a letter saying they were due to come round and check whether I had a telly as I had no licence registered to my address. Turns out the automated service was very bad at recording and they'd got the wrong flat number and therefore someone else down the road was getting my tv licence. All rectified now but as far as I'm aware the same system is still in place. the other flat on my landing has been empty since I moved in because the owner is renovating - and she's told them this but she gets at least four letters a year tellng her to get a licence or she'll be fined.

June

June Report 14 Jan 2005 17:23

When I moved house, I couldn't just transfer my Licence, (I pay by direct debit monthly) I had to cancel one, and get a refund, then set up another direct debit. Thank goodness had no problems since. June xx

BrianW

BrianW Report 14 Jan 2005 17:25

Because we get quite a lot of post at work we have our own postcode. Kept getting reminders to say we hadn't got a TV licence, adressed to the same house number but with the general postcode for the location. It took about four years to get them to stop sending the damn things. And that advert that says "If you haven't got a licence we know your address" is a big con. Yes they know your address, they have a list of every address in the Country. But they don't know if you have a TV. And why should not having a TV licence be a criminal offence. The money all goes to the Beeb and the Beeb is supposed to be independent of Government, just like any utility company. You can't be jailed for not paying your water bill! And the majority of TV licence non-payers in jail are single mothers.

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 14 Jan 2005 17:49

Or students..... we rang up too, but they obviously didn't believe us, even when we showed them the damn thing!! LOL. Has anyone seen Little Britain? Do you wonder if they're all like that girl who works for the bank, and always says 'computer says no'? No offence to anyone who works for them, but they don't seem to have a very good system going. My dad is a magistrate, and he has never fined the full grand for not having a TV licence. Pathetic thing to have to go to court for! What about all the murderers etc out there? Oh, no, we're just concerned with those who don't have TV licences.... puh-lease! Chloe

Bob

Bob Report 14 Jan 2005 18:08

Brian I would take a bit of convincing that there is anyone at all in jail for not paying their licence. In my opinion £2 a week would be worth it for Sarah Kennedy and Terry Wogan on Radio 2 alone Bob

Sue

Sue Report 14 Jan 2005 19:03

In our little village of Langley Vale we have a Village Hall. My husband is the Chairman of the management committee that runs it. It is a registered charity and non profit making. For five years he kept getting letters threatening fines and imprisonment for non payment of TV licence. The Hall has never had a TV in it since it was built almost 40 years ago and so has never had a licence! Each time hubby phoned or wrote the answer was the same - It's a clerical error - then the next month along came another letter threatening fines etc. Then, magically, the letters stopped coming! Haven't had one for over a year now - shhhhh don't tell anyone or they may start again! LOL Sue xx

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 14 Jan 2005 19:50

My friend has never had a t.v. but she is constantly bombarded with threatening letters, she is forever phoning them up telling them that she doesn't need a licence because she has no t.v. their reply ususally is "everyone has a television" now she just ignores the reminders and awaits the knock on the door and start explaining all over again.

Ann

Ann Report 14 Jan 2005 20:13

My brother does not have a TV and he regularly gets letters, he just rings them and says- 'fine, come on round to check, I have not got a TV so I have nothing to hide'. They have never actually come round. Call their bluff, if you have a TV licence and they simply do not believe you, tell them you will see them in court- I would have thought most magistrates would be slapping them on the wrists for time wasting if you get there and produce the document!!! Serves them right!!!