General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Holidays in Egypt anyone?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 14 Jan 2005 18:32

My mum and I are thinking about going to Egypt on holiday. It's something that we've both wanted to do for ages. Has anyone been? Can they please tell me their experiences? Where did you book your holiday?? Chloe

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 14 Jan 2005 18:41

The only place I can think of definitely going to is Cairo, I'd love to see the Valley of the Kings though. How far is everything from places? What tour operator did you go with?

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jan 2005 18:44

Hi, we are going for the 3rd time this July, its an amzing country and we've always felt welcome, safe and secure. We go with Kuoni as you can tailor make your holidays, as you wouldnt want to spend a week in Cairo I dont think, we just did 2 days, then a week in Luxor and a week on the Red Sea, Sharm el Sheik is better than Hurgarda as a beach resort.

Lisa

Lisa Report 14 Jan 2005 18:51

We went on a cruise from Cyprus down to Egypt. Loved the antiquities, the museum, Pyramids, Sphinx but the people are very pushy trying to sell you things. We docked at Port Said, halfway across the pontoon bridge they grabbed your stuff and put it into these bag and then they wanted paying. At all the sites there are the statue sellers - all you hear is "buy statue lady £1 to you" At the sphinx they offer to take you to Kentucky Fried Chicken for a fee! Officially its £1 to go into the pyramid - theres some chap hiding inside who demands another unofficial quid when you get in there. And if you photograph someones camel accidently they expect to be paid for it! Lisa

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 14 Jan 2005 21:37

hiya my sister and family went to shalmel shiek last may they are going again said it was lovely

Rick

Rick Report 14 Jan 2005 21:51

Hi Chloe, There are loads of reasonably-priced package tours that will fly you to Cairo for a night or two and then on to Luxor for a cruise down the nile to Aswan stopping at all the sights on the way. It's a good way of seeing a lot of the country in a short time. Rick :-))

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 14 Jan 2005 22:00

Thanks everyone. Any places that you might suggest (who to book with)?

Valice in

Valice in Report 14 Jan 2005 22:31

Son went in Nov, took last minute package to Red Sea, seemed to enjoy it, got an SMS from him whilst he was waiting to come home at the airport to say airport was tiny, temp 40C and everywhere looked very barren. Val

Rick

Rick Report 14 Jan 2005 22:38

Hi again Chloe :-) Thompsons do good tours but there are masses of operators so do shop around. Places to go..... Gisa Abu Simbel Karnak Valley of the Kings Valley of the Queens Aswan (stunning - loved it there) Plenty of others but those are the main tourist spots. Rick.xx