General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Grrrrrrr - broadband!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jan 2005 23:32

"Easy install" my backside! Have just spent 5 hours messing about trying to sort broadband out and tempers are frayed - have now been told I either need to get a shorter extension cable or to get the phone point moved - does anyone know how much it costs for BT to move a main phone socket?

Winter Drawers Ever Near

Winter Drawers Ever Near Report 14 Jan 2005 23:36

My phone point is in the hall and my friend whose an ex engineer put an extention cable in the socket and attached it that way. I just ran the cable under the floorboards and hey presto. Will be speaking to him tomorrow so can get the info for u. Unless anyone else has any better ideas. Aileen

**Sheesh

**Sheesh Report 14 Jan 2005 23:38

I did the same thing, just ran an extension round the room and it works fine.

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jan 2005 23:43

Thanks - feeling a bit calmer now:) Apparently my problem is that the extension lead is over 10 metres and/or one of the filters may be faulty but I'm not sure if I can use a shorter extension cable - I suppose I need to get a drill out to make the route shorter - though perhaps not until the morning:))

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jan 2005 23:46

Yes Strump, that did make sense thanks - I've seen soo much of filters and sockets etc tonight lol

Sam

Sam Report 15 Jan 2005 00:16

don't know about extensions and whatever but I do know that BT will try and charge you about £100 if you get them to do it. So is definately cheaper to DIY if possible! Sam

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Jan 2005 00:20

Sam - £100 quid??!!!?? Blimey, if the filter change and shorter extension don't work I'm going back to dial up - I wasn't even that bothered about getting broadband lol

Pat

Pat Report 15 Jan 2005 01:41

I use an extension cable and have no problems, it extends through a twelve foot room into the other room which is approx 6 foot more, so eighteen feet altogether. Pat x

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Jan 2005 08:20

David noooooooooo - you can't go back to dial-up after broadband, it will be like having your arm chopped off lol! Perseverance is the keyword here! If you're still having probs later on, mail me and I'll get hubby to help out (but we're out until later this afternoon). Have a nice weekend, Love Mandy xx