General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Egg Whites

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 15 Jan 2005 12:44

Found a new recipe I wish to try - however it requires 6 egg yolks. Apart from meringues (haven't sweet tooth) and white of egg omelettes (don't fancy) any ideas/recipes by which I may use up some, if not all, of the surplus whites? Not mean just hate to waste food. Ann

Fairy

Fairy Report 15 Jan 2005 13:06

The only thing I can think of at the moment is to whisk it well and use it as paper glue for the children. Perhaps the Christmas cards that could be cut out and stuck? Jo.

Dizzy Lizzy 205090

Dizzy Lizzy 205090 Report 15 Jan 2005 13:08

Why don't you freeze each one separately in small freezer boxes or bags and then when a recipe calls for a single egg white, you have one ready to defrost? Liz

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 15 Jan 2005 13:42

Greeting's Ann..... " Baked Alaska " ..... comes to mind..... MIKE.

Valice in

Valice in Report 15 Jan 2005 14:08

I think I have a recipe for macaroons or coconut pyramids that use just whites of egg. Val

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 15 Jan 2005 14:33

Liz - never thought of that, Val I like macaroons - could I have recipe in case I haven't one in may many cookbooks. Trish - tried and tested that tip over 40 years ago now! A midwife actually told me about it. As you know puts a waterproof seal on skin - son had terrible nappy rash each time he teethed. Ann

Christine2

Christine2 Report 15 Jan 2005 14:49

Sorry to butt in but could we have the recipe for coconut pyramids too please? I love them. Thanks Chrissie x

Paul (Tigger)

Paul (Tigger) Report 15 Jan 2005 15:29

Ann all your egg white troubles are over sweetheart try this http://www(.)gourmetsleuth(.)com/leftovereggwhites2.htm remove the brackets Paul

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 15 Jan 2005 16:04

They are a very good treatment for pressure sores they help the healing process Bren

Christine2

Christine2 Report 15 Jan 2005 16:47

Blimey - is there a web site for EVERYTHING :)))))

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 15 Jan 2005 19:18

Paul - thank you - would never have thought of looking on the web. We are never too old to learn! Ann

Paul (Tigger)

Paul (Tigger) Report 15 Jan 2005 19:29

Ann no prob just hope u find what u wanted on the site Paul

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Jan 2005 19:33

I think you can whisk them and use as a face mask. nell

Valice in

Valice in Report 15 Jan 2005 22:24

Been to look up recipe books, think I might be wrong about the macaroons, the one I found uses a whole egg. COCONUT PYRAMIDS 2 egg whites 4 oz castor sugar 1 teasp rice flour 3 oz desiccated coconut food colouring (optional) Beat whites until mixture stands up firmly Sift in 2 oz sugar and beat till stiff and dry Fold in remaining sugar, rice flour and coconut Can divide mixture into portions & add colouring if wished Shape into pyramids, put on to baking tray lined with rice paper and dry off in slow oven 275F Gas Mark 1 for about 30 mins. Uncooked Desserts Apple Snow Add 1 tablesp lemon juice to half pint sweetened apple puree, beat 2 egg whites stiffly and fold in, can add a few drops of pink colouring if wished. Chocolate Snow Beat 2 egg whites until stiff, Mix 2 tablesp sugar and 2 teasp of chocolate powder, then sift into beaten egg white and fold in lightly. Pineapple Sponge Drain 1 can chopped pineapple, measure quantity and make up to half pint with water. Put liquid into pan, add 1 oz sugar, juice half lemon, and half oz powdered gelatine and stir till gelatine has melted. (presumably over gentle heat) Leave to cool. Beat 2 egg whites stiffly, gradually whisk in the cool syrup and continue to whisk until mixture begins to set. Fold in most of the pineapple. Pile into glasses & decorate with remaining pineapple. Enjoy. Val

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Jan 2005 22:35

Marion Snap - my lad - 13 today - won't eat yolk either. He is very proud of the fact that egg white is the protein and that England rugby players eat omlette made with mainly egg whites. nell