General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone own a "Classic" car??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brenda

Brenda Report 15 Jan 2005 21:52

Brenda

Brenda Report 15 Jan 2005 21:54

I'll start... we have a 1972 Ginetta G15 and also a 1972 Triumph GT6, infact all other boards I'm active on are all car related! Lots of fun driving, back to basics! Anyone else? RG

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 15 Jan 2005 22:21

We don't but a close friend has numerous classic Jags. Some of them are beeeeeeautiful. Jacky

Patricia

Patricia Report 15 Jan 2005 23:27

My Hubbie has several Rover P6s which I don't like at all. also a truimph Stag. Pat

karen in the new forest

karen in the new forest Report 15 Jan 2005 23:31

we had a jaguar sovereign but hubby sold it on ebay and a little man came from belgium to buy it . karen

Simon

Simon Report 16 Jan 2005 00:03

Mine is a little red 1969 MG Midget (all tucked up for the Winter at the moment though !) Simon

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 16 Jan 2005 00:34

I once owned a 1965 singer vogue........if that counts......previously a 1961 wolseley 1500, farina body.....

Christine

Christine Report 16 Jan 2005 09:40

i have a '76 mini chrstine

Kym

Kym Report 16 Jan 2005 09:49

We once had a 74 Monaro GTS my mums ex-bf brought it then sold it to my partner and now we sold it to my best mate. Kym

Sand

Sand Report 18 Jan 2005 20:00

I've got a '93 toyota corolla liftback. Ok, it's not a classic yet, but it will be! I love it--incredibly reliable and a lovely drive. The older it gets the better it drives!

Andy

Andy Report 18 Jan 2005 20:05

My eldest daughter for her second car had a 1964 Wolseley 1500. She drove it all year round for two years and it went rotten due to the salt on the roads. I put new sills on it, two new fibreglass wings and numerous other bodywork repairs and sold it for just about what she paid for it. However I did not cost my labour. If I did it would have cost a fortune. My youngest daughter because her grandad drove an MG decided to buy a 1977 MGBGT. I spent half my time crawling underneath it, eventually, when she left home coming around the M25 having not checked the oil she seized the engine which threw a rod, wrecked the engine and effectively wrote car off as far she was concerned. I think classic cars and bikes are fine for those like me who look after them. For those who just want the charisma of driving around in something old but don't know anything about mechanics, unless they are prepared to pay, it's a complete loser! Andy, not wanting dirty hands unless he is working on his own machines!

Carrie

Carrie Report 18 Jan 2005 20:09

I did once it was a right animal! A Panda actually, No one would get in it, the seats were like deckchairs, it sat in my garage for years then one day I came home and it was gone, No not stolen, Hubby scraped it boo hoo. Alright, Ok it wasn't a Proper Classic.

Andy

Andy Report 18 Jan 2005 20:27

But Racing Girl, a Ginetta is not a classic, it is a kit car! My mate Bev had the one with the mini engine in front, in his case a Ripspeed 1380cc unit. It didn't have a very high top speed, but would do zero to 60 mph in a very short space of time! But why do you call yourself Racing Girl? I'm just curious.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 18 Jan 2005 21:08

My other half has a Aston Martin V8 - is that a classic car, not really sure if it is. Liz

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 18 Jan 2005 21:17

My son is in the process of renovating a 1964/5 Singer Vogue. Should be a lovely old car when he`s finished. Baz xx

Brenda

Brenda Report 18 Jan 2005 21:40

Andy, I would seriously disagree that my Ginetta is not a classic! Not all Ginettas were kit cars, and at 32 1/2 years old the DVLA would class it as one! The nickname was given to me by someone I used to work with, cause my cube wall was festooned with posters from my local road racing track here in Michigan, Waterford Hills; plus, during race season I'm a track volunteer, I work false grid... I adore road racing, especially classic car road racing and owning the "2" classics keeps us very busy in the warmer weather (it was -18C here this morning!). The name has just stuck, I've used it for about 5 years now. RG

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 18 Jan 2005 21:53

hubby has just sold a 1957 standard 10. he was suppose to be doing it up but never got round to it so after 10 yrs of it sitting by the side of the garage i had had enough and nagged him to get rid of the thing lol not sure if it was a classic but it was blooming old!!! susie

Brenda

Brenda Report 18 Jan 2005 22:03

Dorothy, Yes I do know most of the cars, I've only lived in USA for 10 years... I'm English born and bred! In actual fact, I worked for Aston Martin for 9 years before I came to Michigan. There is a huge following for British cars in this area, the club I'm in has 167 active members with all kinds of British cars, mainly Triumphs. RG