General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A very smoky day around Perth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annabel

Annabel Report 16 Jan 2005 08:43

Four fires up in the hills above Perth, a strong wind blowing, all very smoky down our way very strange shutting the sun out ash and burnt leaves coming down like snow. As far as I know the fire is not near any Perth members. ANNABEL

Annabel

Annabel Report 16 Jan 2005 09:28

Just heard on the news one home lost other being avacuated ,looks like a fire bug is on the loose, hang them I say. ANNABEL

Trudi

Trudi Report 16 Jan 2005 09:30

Anabel I am here in Swanview and its very hazy indeed. I can see the huge clouds of smoke. Not sure where it is yet though will listen to news tonight Trudi

~*sylvia*~

~*sylvia*~ Report 16 Jan 2005 09:41

My husband and I went to Gosnells today to visit our son and his wife and we nearly turned round and went home because the sky was absolutely black with smoke and ash was dropping on to the car. We got there safely, but, there was an awful smell of smoke in the air inside and outside their house and ash and lumps of burnt paper or something was dropping everywhere. I was glad to get home again. I hope whoever is responsible for these fires gets punished severely. Hope no-one is in danger from the fires. Sylvia

Annabel

Annabel Report 16 Jan 2005 09:42

Fires are at karragullon, boya, mundaring, j/forest ,pickering brooke said on the 5pm news I live Gosnells way been in doors all day but my eyes are smarting pity the poor people a lot closers to the fires ANNABEL

Christine

Christine Report 16 Jan 2005 09:46

hi are ther fires over there in perth we don;t here much about perth here in victoria,nothing at all it's like you are overseas or something christine

Theresa

Theresa Report 16 Jan 2005 09:56

Hi, does anybody know if Bullcreek has fires near it my sister lives there?. Regards Theresa

Patricia

Patricia Report 16 Jan 2005 10:38

Hello All in Australia.. Can any one tell me if the fires are near to Goonellabah... My hubbies cousin and Aunt are there. Thanks Pat.

Pamela

Pamela Report 16 Jan 2005 12:02

Here in Swan View I had my three year old grandson staying, his asthma started gave me such a fright in the night. We took a ride over to Maddington and it was so smoky there also. My daughter lives at Mundaring it has not bothered them there very much,she has not mentioned it. Jacob at home with his family now, he is alright thank goodness. Pam

Annabel

Annabel Report 16 Jan 2005 12:30

These places are up the hills amid the trees and bush, Perth and suburbs are not in danger just had a lot of smoke ash etc a strong easterly was blowing this morning, smoke going out to sea now. ANNABEL

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 16 Jan 2005 13:03

We have been having our problems with fires here also. 13th Jan The Black range National Park ( Near Horsham ). It has burned more than 9500ha and killed more than 6000 livestock. They say the fire was one of 76 across Victoria. Tony. Victoria

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 16 Jan 2005 13:15

Hi Debra. Yes, and the ones in S.A (Tragic.) 9 people lost there lives. 80 thousand hectares,5 houses destroyed, 3 sheds, 15 caravans. So thats W.A then S.A then into Victoria. Right across from West to East. Tony

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 16 Jan 2005 13:28

G'day Bill. Yes, not so far thankgoodness. But Longwood ( central Vic. near, Euroa) they had large grass fires, and used those Water-bombing aircraft to help the firefighters. I think we are still in for some more very hot and windy weather still to come. Tony

Pamela

Pamela Report 17 Jan 2005 15:06

Very Smoky in Mundaring to day got worse late afternoon and early evening. There were emense plumes of smoke you could see driving down greenmount hill on the great eastern highway today. So far near Pickering Brook over 9000hectares of forest burnt and at least 30,000 hectares expected to be burnt before it is finished. The fire is not controlled smaller fires have joined together it is raging still. Houses evacuated and arson is the cause!!!. Pam

June

June Report 18 Jan 2005 06:31

Kaylene, Glad to hear you are breathing better now, it cant be doing your chest any good breathing in the smoke, I wish they would catch the culprits who started these. June