General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TREE QUERY?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 16 Jan 2005 10:17

Good morning all, just wanted to place a general query. When entering your trees do any of you put in husbands/wives of relations even if you do not know anything more about them than their name, date of birth and the fact that they did actually marry one of your relation? I would be interested to hear your comments...........regards, Yvonne

PolperroPrincess

PolperroPrincess Report 16 Jan 2005 10:18

I have been doing! Bev

Kym

Kym Report 16 Jan 2005 10:19

Yup I put them in mine. Kym

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jan 2005 10:21

Yes, if I know their name and that they married my ancestor. Mandy :)

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 16 Jan 2005 10:24

Marly, when you say ancestors but not relations would you NOT enter a wife/husband for say, uncles and aunts?

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Jan 2005 10:44

Yes, I put spouses in if I find records showing that they married someone in my tree, even if I don't know their full names. As you go back further, it's often difficult to find out much about a spouse who 'married in'. Tracing back, my own branch of my family's tree stops around 1670, and so far I haven't yet been able to find out any more than our Thomas (born c1670) married a Dorothy (surname not recorded) around 1700. If you don't add spouses, you are unlikely to find connections with other families' trees on GR. By contacting people from different families connected to yours by marriage, you may find out further info about your own. If the people concerned are long-dead, I don't see any reason not to add them, but I don't add living people without permission. CB >|<

Caroline

Caroline Report 16 Jan 2005 10:45

Yes l do

Sandra

Sandra Report 16 Jan 2005 11:09

hi yes i do, and i also research siblings marriages, and the wife/husbands ancestors, it gives me something to do when i hit a brick wall sandra

Carrie

Carrie Report 16 Jan 2005 11:14

I put all that I find, brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces etc, I have found many distant rellies by "in law" names, after all they all come back to the same Parents, Grandparents, Great Grand Parents and so on. Carrie

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 16 Jan 2005 16:55

Thanks for your replies, I wanted to make sure I was not complicating matters ........ seems I am OK. Best wishes to all, Yvonne