General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

earliest census in scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 18 Jan 2005 11:58

when was the first census done in scotland?and when did they start birth and death certificates?. stravaig

Marie

Marie Report 18 Jan 2005 12:15

very good question, don,t know the answer but will be interested in seeing if anyone gives you a reply ...... thank you !!

JessyG

JessyG Report 18 Jan 2005 12:33

According to genuki the census's in scotland started in 1801 but only the ones from 1841 onwards carry details of named residents

Val

Val Report 18 Jan 2005 13:11

On the scotland site goes back to 1881, 1891 and 1901 they have births up to 1903, marriages to 1928 and deaths to 1953

Val

Val Report 18 Jan 2005 13:33

If you also go on site freecen.rootsweb.com they have cencus 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1891 don't think got all of the cencus but worth a look

Clare

Clare Report 18 Jan 2005 13:59

Hi there, I belive that census records go back as far as they do in England, but they are only really useful from 1841 onwards. Check on Genuki for how they can be accessed for each county in Scotland for 1841-1871. The 1881, 1891 and 1901 census are all fully searchable on scotlandspeople. Registration began in Scotland in 1855. If you are looking for information before that, it is contained in the Old Parish Registers (effectively church records). How far back these go depends on the parish. Again Genuki is a good place to look how back the info goes and where it can be accessed. If you need any further help etc, just drop me a line and I will do what I can