General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

cold sores - herpes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Jan 2005 09:42

Has anyone ever had them anywhere else but their face? I think I have an allergy to a new pair of socks but instead of a rash i have what seems to be 4 cold sores on my lower legs/ankle. They itch like mad and seem to respond to Zovirofax (not sure ofthe spelling without going to get the tube. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this? Ann Glos

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Jan 2005 10:19

I suppose that is a possibility Linda but they don't look like bites, they also start with slight tingling like cold sores do. Agravating more than anything. Ann Glos

Brian

Brian Report 22 Jan 2005 10:23

Hi Ann, Wife, ex-Boots Health Care Assistant (on the Chemist counter), suggests you carry on with the Zovirax (rather expensive though, isn't it? Tiny tubes at around £6 a time) - follow instructions as per facial cold sores. If it doesn't clear up within 5 days get along to your GP. Hope there's an improvement soon, Brian, ;-)

Mags

Mags Report 22 Jan 2005 10:24

Hello Ann You've not been in contact with chicken pox have you? - sometimes you only have one or two spots. Are you feeling well otherwise? Magsxx

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 22 Jan 2005 10:27

Ann, My son only gets cold sores on his eye lids or the backs of his hands, he has to take Aciclovir (prescription only) 5 times a day when they start and we have to strap the hand just in case. Also my friend only gets one at the base of the spine, told her about son's tablets, now she takes them. They work!! Kim x

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Jan 2005 10:29

Hi Ann I'm wary of saying this because I don't want to sound like a scaremonger! But it sounds like shingles to me. A work colleague had the very same thing last week - several spots on her thigh which looked like bites, but then got tingly then painful. Shingles is not infectious - it is the reactivation of the dormant chicken pox virus in the body. And of course there is the connection to the herpes family too. Either ring NHS Direct or get an emergency doctor's appointment - or failing that, get your local pharmacist to have a look. Let me know how you get on, and sending love and hugs, Mandy xx

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 22 Jan 2005 10:56

Ann - dont ignore it - I had a pinhead rash all over my feet once - put it down to new trainers and a reaction to fish I had eaten. Two weeks later my hands were crippled with arthritis - went to GP and turns out I had German Measles for the second time :O Best to get it checked. Good luck - Anne in Kent

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Jan 2005 13:37

Thanks all for your concernl, Don't think it is shingles Mandy, I have seen that as Tony and Lynda my daughter have both had it. Not to my knowledge been in contact with chicken pox, not those sort of spots and had that. Brian Thank your wife for her advice, the Zovirax certainly seems to work (husband gets cold sores so we always have some in) so i will go on with it for a few more days as suggested and if they don't go i'll see the doc. I feel perfectly well otherwise.

LindaMcD

LindaMcD Report 22 Jan 2005 13:53

I too think this is shingles. Someone I know at the moment has it and has had it before and thought the rash was not the same. Dr proved her wrong and told her off for not coming sooner! Linda x Ps Get well soon.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Jan 2005 14:17

Would shingles be on both legs at once? When my daughter had shingles the doctor wasn't interested, just told her to take pain killers if she needed them, same as Tony when he had it. But I will keep an eye on it. Thanks Ann Glos