General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Virus

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 22 Jan 2005 10:14

My putor is ill - it caught a virus! Called Funner.A - I don't know whether its one of these that sends itself to everyone in your contacts list, but I fear so! Son reckons he opened an attachment through MSN messenger and that was how it got in but not being an expert on these things I don't know. I went to a works do overnight and had a really good time - till I got home to this! If it is one of these thingys that sends itself to all your contacts - to anyone that I have been in contact with through here - I am sincerely sorry. Lisa

www.Siouxhealer

www.Siouxhealer Report 22 Jan 2005 11:18

Lisa, have you got an anti virus prgram running? and has it got rid of this nasty? If not I'd advise downloading AVG 7.0 Free version from www.grisoft(.)com It's a great bit of free kit, and will save the day in 99.9% of problems Sioux

Paul (Tigger)

Paul (Tigger) Report 22 Jan 2005 12:02

yep trend micro systems home scan its a free online virus scan very good use it a lot Paul

Paul (Tigger)

Paul (Tigger) Report 22 Jan 2005 12:10

W32/Funner-A is a worm for the Windows platform that targets the MSN Messenger application. The funner.A is a worm and spreads via Email attachments The side effects of this virus are Modifies data on the computer Installs itself in the Registry Worms infect computers, but do not infect files. They can simply be identified and deleted. However, they often make registry or startup file changes so that they are executed on boot-up. Check the virus analysis for details of such behaviour. 1. Removing worms in Windows 95/98/Me Check the virus analysis for details on the worm and its removal. Go to Start|Programs|Sophos Anti-Virus and run the Sophos Anti-Virus program. Select the Immediate tab. Go to Options|Configuration... select the Action tab, tick 'Infected files', select 'Delete' then click 'OK'. Click the Go button on the toolbar to start the scan. Delete the files. Run another scan to check it has gone. Go back to Options|Configuration... select the Action tab, then deselect 'Infected files' and 'Delete'. Click 'OK'. Reboot and run a final scan to be certain it has gone. If the worm cannot be removed because the files are held open by the operating system: Reboot the computer from a clean startup or system disk. Delete the worm files manually or using the DOS instructions. 2. Removing worms in Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 Check the virus analysis for details on the worm and its removal. Close down all programs. Go to Start|Programs|Sophos Anti-Virus and run the Sophos Anti-Virus program. Select the Immediate tab. Go to Options|Configuration... select the Action tab, tick 'Infected files', select 'Delete' then click 'OK'. Click the Go button on the toolbar to start the scan. Delete the files. Run another scan to check it has gone. Go back to Options|Configuration... select the Action tab, then deselect 'Infected files' and 'Delete'. Click 'OK'. Reboot and run a final scan to be certain it has gone. If Sophos Anti-Virus cannot delete files because they are held open by the operating system, make a note of the names of the files, then do as follows. Windows 2000/XP/2003 Download an emergency copy of SAV32CLI. On an uninfected Windows computer, run this file to extract the contents into a SAV32CLI folder on a medium that can be write-protected. Add any relevant IDEs to this folder and write-protect the disk (on a CD/R or CD/RW close the session). Restart the computer in Safe Mode. Go to Start|Shut Down. Select 'Restart' from the dropdown list and click 'OK'. Windows will restart. Press F8 when you see the following text at the bottom of the screen "For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for Windows 2000, press F8". In the Windows 2000 Advanced Options Menu, select the third option 'Safe Mode with Command Prompt'. At the infected computer, place the CD in the CD drive (D: in this example). At the command prompt type D: to access the CD drive. Type: CD SAV32CLI Then type: SAV32CLI -REMOVE -P=C:\LOGFILE.TXT to remove the worm. Before leaving Safe Mode, edit any registry entries mentioned in the worm analysis recovery instructions. If problems persist , contact support. Windows NT Download an emergency copy of SAV32CLI. On an uninfected Windows computer, run this file to extract the contents into a SAV32CLI folder on a medium that can be write-protected. Add any relevant IDEs to this folder and write-protect the disk (on a CD/R or CD/RW close the session). Shut down all programs. Go to Start|Settings|Control Panel and double-click 'Services'. Stop as many services as possible using the Stop button. Close and shut down the Control Panel. Press the Ctrl, Alt and Del keys at the same time. Click 'Task Manager' and select the Processes tab. Select a process and click on 'End Process'. It may or may not end. Repeat this for other processes (including the Windows desktop). After closing all possible programs go to File|New Task (Run) and type 'Cmd'. Close down the Task Manager screen. Place the CD in the CD drive (D: in this example). At the command prompt type D: to access the CD drive. Type: CD SAV32CLI Then type: SAV32CLI -REMOVE -P=C:\LOGFILE.TXT to remove the worm. If worm removal has succeeded, edit any registry entries mentioned in the worm analysis recovery instructions. If problems persist , contact support.