General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

AUSCHWITZ (Songs of Praise)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Jan 2005 17:30

Just watching this - how incredibly moving - I'm sat here in tears. Particularly as it follows three teenagers, just in the process of applying to universities, on a visit to the camp. They have my utmost admiration for wanting to be there and feel some of what happened. And the death statistics are horrendous. I pray that all those who lost their lives in this most terrible way are resting in peace in a better place.

Rupert

Rupert Report 23 Jan 2005 17:54

Mandy I would agree it was very upsetting . I can remember my mother crying when the news was made known and pictures released. Iwas about 13/14 and it has remained with me ever since. *It could have been prevented had the worlds population taken more notice. Rupert Bear.

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 23 Jan 2005 22:19

Mandy It was very moving and it also made me very angry. Although I was involved in WW2 it made me feel I would like to wipe out a few more nazis although there must be very few of them left now. The most moving piece was Goretski's symphony. Who was the wonderful singer, do you know? len

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Jan 2005 22:33

Len Sorry, the name of the soloist went up too quickly at the end, but he was a member of the Zemel Choir. Their website is www.the-zemel-choir(.)org. In the photograph on the home page, the soloist is second from the right in the back row. Mandy :)

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 24 Jan 2005 15:27

I've always thought it a very poignant subject, but one that also made me very angry at the perpetrators. However, it was always something that had been "in the news" and "in the war", before I was born. Then about 10 years ago my sister-in-law from London celebrated her birthday in a German restaurant in London. My maiden surname is also a Jewish name, and the party was booked in that name. My brother didn't think anything of it. During the evening there was a German group sat near us, with one person in particular looking over at us with absolute loathing. I thought it was me being paranoid, but a lot of the others noticed it, too. I later learned that he was a Nazi supporter. That was a real eye-opener to me, and very scary. He made no secret of his feelings, yet we'd done nothing wrong.

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 25 Jan 2005 23:04

A close friend of mine, a Jewish girl who was sent to London in 1938 but who lost her parents, committed suicide last year as she was too unhappy about all her lost relatives. The film made me realise more fully how she must have been suffering. Len

Luciacw

Luciacw Report 25 Jan 2005 23:31

Len, that is so sad, Lucia

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Jan 2005 09:03

Thought it was appropriate to nudge this one up today, with no apologies for doing so. Mandy