General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

24 hr drinking laws.what do you think..........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 23 Jan 2005 19:10

personally i think it's madness!!!xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx(:

Lisa

Lisa Report 23 Jan 2005 19:14

policing will have to be stepped up.hospitals will be at breaking point treating alcohol cases.businesses having workers off sick and money lost through this.crime will go up,council tax through cleaning the streets.just a few downsides to it.amnd least i forget to mention.families.could be non existant in some cases.marriage breakdown.poverty through money being spent on alcohol.just a fewxxxx(:

Bob

Bob Report 23 Jan 2005 19:29

If it is problems with drunks that people are conserned about then I belive there is a far greater problem of public order. Football matches should be banned as there are far too many hooligans that the police have to control. This will and should never happen it would deprive the law abiding from enjoying their entertainment. Therefore I would support free open hours, 24 hours would only be used by a very small minority of pubs and clubs, to alow the law abiding drinkers to enjoy themselves. There are currently laws designed to prevent bar staff from serving those that are drunk, £2000 fines I belive. Once the police start using these powers then the drunkeness would be under control. So pubs being able to open as and when they like yes please with local controls to protect local residents. Bob

Sue from Wakefield

Sue from Wakefield Report 23 Jan 2005 19:30

I lived in Germany (army wife) for a few years ..with 24hr drinking. No problems what so ever. No rush for last orders. No having to go out early to have a good night of drinking. But saying that...it was just a different way of life. Sue xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Jan 2005 19:54

It's a practical way of dealing with the problems that can happen when all the pubs empty out on to the streets at the same time and people trying to get as many drinks in as they can before closing. Pubs are not going to start opening 24 hours a day- it's giving them the option to open and close when they want to. It's also saves landlords and ladies from having to apply to the magistrates every time they want to stay open until 12 for parties etc. All for it me:)

Bob

Bob Report 23 Jan 2005 21:16

Brian, The IF does not come into the question. The police are not using their powers that is the problem. if bar staff new they would be prosecuted for serving drunks then maybe they would think twice. It seems to be the case at the moment that the police do not use the powers they have so we have more laws that they still will not use. Bob

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Jan 2005 21:23

A man (or woman) only has so much to spend, and I suppose that even if the pubs were only open for a few hours there are those who would manage to spend it. As far as I am concerned I would be happy if public drinking was banned altogether and anyone who wanted a drink would have to buy it from the Off Licence and drink it at home. I personally would like to see a chain of "Places of evening entertainment" where you can meet your friends, have a chat, play some games, listen to some music, and not allowing alcohol on the premises. IMHO

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 23 Jan 2005 21:25

Do you think it's a form of reverse phsychology? I'm totally against this new law, but am trying to understand the government's reasoning behind it.