General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

does anyone else have a cold? or know natural rema

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~~Ali~~

~~Ali~~ Report 24 Jan 2005 13:33

am feeling yuk today! dont 'do' being ill very well. just thought id simpathise with anyone else feeling the same! my face is all puffy, my nose is blocked and keep being sick. is there any natural remadies which may help, have had so many tablets i rattle when i walk!

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 24 Jan 2005 13:38

Alison, have you tried a spoonful of Vick's, or a few drops of Eucalyptus oil in a bowl hot water. A towel over the head and breathe in the vapour. Helps to unblock the air passage way and stuffy blocked nose. Tony Oz x

~~Ali~~

~~Ali~~ Report 24 Jan 2005 13:43

thank you will give them a try, nothing that involves a lot of handsome men, oils, chocs etc, never mine!

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 24 Jan 2005 13:57

Sorry you are not feeling well.We use an old recipe which my husband found in a Tudor housekeeping book, It really clears your sinuses AND IF IT DOESN'T CURE YOUR COLD AT LEAST YOU DON'T CARE. 2bottles of red wine 1 bottle of brandy Cloves,cinnamon,ginger root,oranges and lemons Pour the wne into a large pan,add cloves, cinnamon sticks,finely sliced root ginger sliced oranges and lemons.Alittle brown sugar if you need a sweetner. Heat the mixture but do not allow to boil. Before you serve in a tumbler stir in a cup full of brandy to the mixture. It certainly works for me. You won't get drunk as the alcohol comes off in the heating process. Hope you feel better soon.It really is a wonder cure-Hugs Rose

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 24 Jan 2005 15:01

Alison and Jess, for the tummy can I recommend Camomile & Spiced Apple herbal tea (sweetened with honey if you need it). Camomile is a natural stomach soother, and as it's a hot drink your nose will get the benefit of the hot steam, and un-clog for a bit! Wish you both better, Glenys x

Lisa

Lisa Report 24 Jan 2005 15:08

not natural remedies but the alcoholic kind.hot milk and whisky.wrapp up get in to bed and sweat the b****r out!!!!!xxxx(:

Anne

Anne Report 24 Jan 2005 15:12

Active Manuka Honey, from the health shops, its about £12.00 and comes in different strenghts, the lower the strenght the cheaper it will be. Its very good for coughs, colds chest infections etc. I was the only person in my family not to catch the flu over the Christmas. Hope you feel better soon. xx

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 24 Jan 2005 15:23

I've been sneezing since Nov 1st. No idea why. Seems I have a cold, but one that lasts for 4 months? I've been taking Vitamin C suppplements everyday since it started. Why hasn't it gone yet?

Jack (Sahara)

Jack (Sahara) Report 24 Jan 2005 15:57

Hope you are feeling better soon Alison. I've just gotten over it (thankfully). I don't think anything really works but a nice hot steamy bath always makes me feel better. My boyfriend swears by whiskey - seems to do the trick (well it certainly cheers him up!) but I can't stand the stuff. Jack x

Marie

Marie Report 24 Jan 2005 16:07

Try putting a spoonfull of whisky into either lemsip or beechams powders, best taken after a hot bath, before bed. this work,s a treat, also for your stuffy nose dissolve a fwe menthol crystals into steaming hot water. put a towel round your head, and breathe in the steam. This will clear all your tubes and help with the breathing. . .

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 25 Jan 2005 23:11

I find that going to bed with a hot nurse is very beneficial. Len