General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

*Do you have a popular hand me down forename*

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 25 Jan 2005 04:12

Do you have a popular ancestral forename, that has been passed on through the generations to a member in your family from a Fathers or Mothers line, to......e.g yourself or your siblings. Tony Oz........My Greats on my Dads side were not inventive.lol

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 25 Jan 2005 04:13

My HULL forefathers. WILLIAM c.1620.....8thx JOHN 1650...... 7thxG, BENJAMIN 1684...... 6thx BENJAMIN 1710..... 5thx JOHN 1752...... 4thx JOHN 1789.......3rdx JOHN 1813......2ndx BENJAMIN 1841.....Great. WILLIAM JOHN BENJAMIN 1875.......Grandfather. JOHN BENJAMIN 1916......Uncle. ANTHONY WILLIAM ( Myself ) Cant pass my forename on, as i have daughters, and they wouldnt have appreciated being called a Benjamin, John or a William. Tony Oz

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 25 Jan 2005 04:15

Oh ffs! Tony...my lot are sooo boring...I got loadsa Henrys marrying Elizabeths!...then they name thier kids the same..... I never know which generation Im working on....I get pickeled....lol

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 25 Jan 2005 04:20

Maybe the Lord was being kind to me!!!! LOL giving me all girls ( 5 of them ) Enough was enough. Tony Ozx

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 25 Jan 2005 04:44

Linda....have you gotta Henry GEORGE?......lol did he marry an Elizabeth by any chance?.....lol

TonyOz

TonyOz Report 25 Jan 2005 04:54

Hey Linda. I'le swap you a Benjamin for a George!! o'k.....nobody will know. I wont tell anyone if you dont. Tony Oz :>))

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Jan 2005 07:39

Hi Tony, Our tree is awash with Georges, Thomases, Marys and Elizabeths from the 1500s to the present day. My branch starts with a 1670 Thomas, then goes to his son George ... my father was George and had a brother called Thomas, and I was christened Mary Elizabeth, after my Great and Gx2 Grandmothers. (Don't mind the Elizabeth, but I don't care for the name Mary. Ever since I said that on the Board a while ago, everybody's started calling me Mary! Still, there are worse things they could call me! LoL ;>))) ) CB >|<

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 25 Jan 2005 12:17

i have 3 generations of George Ewell,gets very confusing when you're talking about them to someone. Louisa as a middle name has been passed down until my mum,her mum didn't like it so called her Pamela!!my mum liked Louise so i got that but i have begun again with my second daughters middle name being Louisa

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 25 Jan 2005 12:18

William, John, Arthur, Albert, Alfred, Henry... all very popular in my family.... seemed to stop with my Grandfather though... My uncle is called Michael lol

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 25 Jan 2005 12:30

Yes Anthony my family , from my Grandparents backwards, always followed the old naming patterns, so has helped make it easier to find them. There seem to have been a Donald in our family forever. Apparently my Dad even wanted to call me DONALDINA!! Thankfully my Mum disagreed and my younger brother got Donald instead! Christine

Juliana

Juliana Report 25 Jan 2005 12:39

They're all William / Samuel / Martha!!!! xxx

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 25 Jan 2005 12:45

My g nan was Roseannah, her daughter (My nan) was Rose Hilda, My mother is named as Rose on her birth records at the hospital, but was baptised Josephine? I have given my daughter the middle name Rose. I am Patricia, and was named after my half-brother Patrick. My middle name is Celia after my cousin. Pat