General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

do you believe in clairvoyants and psychics?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kylie from perth in oz

kylie from perth in oz Report 26 Jan 2005 00:33

how many believe ive been to a few ,3 were very good but went to one on saturday and well it kinda made me think are they for real cos she did speak a load of rubbish i have a friend who lives her life by them so much so she has just found out she is pregnant and is only 9 weeks and she has bought girls clothes cos one told her she would have one of each she already has a son i so hope she gets her girl

Patricia

Patricia Report 26 Jan 2005 00:41

Well Funny you should mention this, I 'm going to one tomorrow...(hopefully) and will let you know what I feel about it. Pat

kylie from perth in oz

kylie from perth in oz Report 26 Jan 2005 00:46

you just got be very open minded patricia and give nothing away if they start fishing for info its a load of rubbish but there is some really good ones out there

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 26 Jan 2005 23:08

When I had more money and time at my disposal, I did a survey of them over a period of about 5 years, studying their techniques. I traveled all over England and Wales, checking their techniques and success rates. Came to the conclusion that 95% of them were either frauds or simple-minded. The 5% who I could not fault were very impressive and did not make money out of it - although obviously they had to live and usually asked for donations. Len

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 26 Jan 2005 23:18

Got to agree with Len. The best reading I ever had was from an old work colleague. Only cost me the price of a pint - and he did buy me one back! lol Jeanette x

Sam

Sam Report 27 Jan 2005 00:02

I agree that there are a lot out there that just take your money and tell you any old rubbish that they think you want to hear. I believe that there ARE decent and 'gifted' folk out there, the problem seems to lie in working out which are which! There was a TV program on a while ago, about mediums and one in particular, I think he was called Gordon Smith, was absolutely fantastic. The part that made my mind up that he was genuine and not a con, was when they said that he doesn't charge for a sitting. There may be a 3 year wait, but there is no charge. To me, this is the true sign of someone who knows that they have been given a gift and want to use it to help others, without any gain for themselves. Anyone (even me!) could advertise as a 'medium' and charge people £20 per hour to tell them a load of rubbish. This doesn't mean that I have never been to see a medium and didn't believe everything they told me at the time (have been to lots!!). Sam

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Jan 2005 00:20

if you ever get the chance,read a book by...betty shine,called mind magic...wonderful woman! bryan.

SuzyQ

SuzyQ Report 27 Jan 2005 03:22

Hi Kylie, I have a very open mind about this subject, but a friend of mine, who lives in NZ is a clairvoyant. She works all over the world. Personally I have never had a reading, but not long after my mother died, Margaret rang me from the UK, where she was working, and told me she was talking to my Mum, ( she did know my mum ), and she told me things that only me and my husband knew about mum's wedding ring. She also told us where we would be moving to and at that time we hadn't sold up our business or started looking for a new one. It took us 9 months to find this place and didn't realise until later that it was where Margaret had described. It's also an area that we wouldn't have even thought of living at the time. Once when Margaret was staying with us, ( we had a B & B at the time ), we invited friends and had a great dinner party. Margaret told my husband where his mother had hidden her will, ( she had died several years before, and his brother did the dirty ). The will was found in that place when the house was eventually sold. I personally wouldn't pay to see a clairvoyant, but I could reccommend Margaret. I don't really want to know was life has in store for me. I like surprises.

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 27 Jan 2005 23:07

Kylie As someone has already said, never give anything away - some of the frauds are very skilled at "suggesting" and watching for re-actions - and don't part with too much money. Let us know how you got on. len

Malc /GG and Jackie

Malc /GG and Jackie Report 27 Jan 2005 23:10

Yes there is some truth I think. had some strange experiences myself that cant be explained. A Traveller/Gypsy selling heather one day asked if my late fathers name started with an I J or T ...Dads name was Joseph Thomas Ives...Coincidence?? Malc

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 28 Jan 2005 09:02

I think you are right in that there are lots of frauds out there, but not all that charge are frauds... The is a guy in Minehead who used to live in Slough who charges £20 for 30 minutes and in all the 20 years I have been to clairvoyants he has never told me a crock of anything but stuff thats right... I've seen him probably 5 times and last time he even gave me his email addy as he said I would need advice soon and he wasn't going to charge me extra... he was right again, and he helped me out LARGE!!

Patricia

Patricia Report 28 Jan 2005 11:31

there is a big difference between a spiritualist medium and a psychic and clairvoyent.a spiritualist medium is not a fortune teller,their task is to try to give you evidence ,by contacting your loved ones now in spirit,that life does go on after physical death.by giving you info personal to you,descriptions,personal memories,a bit about their personalities,family members,maybe names important to you through your life.sometimes events happening around you at the presrnt time,to show that they are around you in spirit,even though you can't see them. and that love lives on.if you wish this kind of reading,please contact your local spiritualist church,many gifted mediums will be members and weekly services are held,to give spiritual help,either by mediums demonstrations,or healing for mind ,body or spirit,even counselling if required. there will be no charge,just usually a freewill donation from you of £1 to cover running costs of the church.occassionally private readings can be arranged,usually £10 for 30minutes .a medium in a spiritualist church must be ethical.thereare certain standards to be met,they will be aware of the philosophy of spiritualism,and certainly do not make money from there mediumistic gift.some may have worked on platforms for many years,but however long they have worked they will always acknowledge that nothing is guaranteed,just go along withan open mind. a psychic , or clairvoyent is not neccessarily a spiritual person,they do have a gift,are able to pick up from your aura,if you just want a kind of fortune telling reading,thats fine,but unfortunately there are people who just missuse their gift,and this gives every a bad name. there are many genuine people in this kind of field, but if you really wish to understand how it all works please go to the right place,enquire at your local spiritualist church. as you can probaly gather,i am a spiritualist myself,not a platform medium,but i am training to be a healer and a counsellor,not for my benefit,but to freely help others who may need it,which is the philosophy of spiritualism. , patricia,known on our church web site as lizzylou. www.farnspiritualist.co.uk

Limara

Limara Report 28 Jan 2005 12:37

yes ive been twice and they were both very accurate in wat she was sayin. told me to watch my children while beside a pool ......on holiday in spain last yr my partner had to dive in 3 times as my youngest lost her footin it was very scary limmie xxx

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 28 Jan 2005 22:52

I was a skeptic until I met Kathleen St George, a medium who lived in Maida Vale. I disputed most of what she told me at our first sitting but later realised that she was correct and that I was very ill-informed about my deceased relatives. It was after my encounter with her and a few others that I decided to research it very carefully. In later years, I joined her development class and, under different circumstances, could myself have become a medium. I became a member of the Spiritualists Asscociation in Belgravia and met many of the leading mediums of the day. Some, I am convinced were (to be kind) deluded. I visited one or two Spiritualists organisations in the home counties and found that, on the whole they tended to be rather gullible and accepted so-called mediums who were anything but. len

Val

Val Report 28 Jan 2005 22:54

I watch John Edward on Living T V he is good

Joanna

Joanna Report 28 Jan 2005 23:15

If you watched the Derren Brown special on TV last week you would never pay another so-called psychic. He infiltrated the top circles of the profession and had everyone spellbound by his 'readings'. He readily admits that he has no psychic ability whatsoever yet he was able to reduce his audience to tears with his insight. He just reads people by their body language and eye movements. He didn't say that mediums were frauds or anything like that - just that he could do exactly the same without consulting with the dead!!! He left it up to us to decide whether to believe in them or not. I DON'T now.

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 29 Jan 2005 23:28

I have not met Derren Brown in person but would like to as I have some skill in reading other peoples' body lanquage. I am inclined to believe he IS skilled but is also using another part of his being, his consciousness, which is not a brain function. I found at one time in my life that the line between "reading" people and picking up psychic emanations was blurred. It was only after psychic development under the tutelage of a skilled medium that I came to recognise the difference. He is making lots of money by claiming psychological rather than psychic abilities so whose to blame him? Len

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 29 Jan 2005 23:35

Quote I found at one time in my life that the line between "reading" people and picking up psychic emanations was blurred. Very interesting that Len. How do we know the difference. Jeanette x

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 30 Jan 2005 23:19

Jeanette Difficult to say in a few typed words but I'll try. I used to be very "anti" spiritualism and was a bit over-confident that I could assess and read people. I put it down to reading faces and body language. If you have time, go to the photoboard and see my face of half a century ago. Arrogance writ all over it. Out of curiosity, I went to a spiritualist demonstration in the 1960s and, to my surprise was picked out of the crowd for a message - although I had not gone there seeking one. The message was from my grandather and I regret that I was quite hostile to the medium and refuted much of what she said. Later, telling the story to my elderly aunt-Godmother, I got two rollickings; the first for messing with such things, the second for not knowing anything of my grandad (who died when I was 6). Apparently the trance- medium had given me much true information that she could not possibly have known about. So, obviously, I had to go back and, after a year or two of research, joined a development class. In that class, I discovered that, when in a meditative state, I could pick up personal information about perfect strangers who were in the vicinity. By personal information, I mean their worries, fears, traumas, interests and losses etc. So I not been so perceptive (in the usual sense) as I previously thought. Len