General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

need to know re skiing

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 26 Jan 2005 15:33

A family wedding being planned at a winter ski resort. I am expected to be there. However I suffer from asthma (controllable) however extremes of temperatures do me no good at all - e.g. high summer temps here - I am indoors with fans going - I can cope with high temps abroad as I am always then by the sea with the sea air. However in bitter cold weather here - to breath in cold air is not good and if I have to go out, wearing a scarf around mouth and nose. Never been anywhere bitter cold - so have you been and what do you think? I will check with doctor but if as I suspect the advice is NO - all hell is going to break loose! I don't really want to take a chance and be the spectre at the feast and spoil a happy day.

Lisa

Lisa Report 26 Jan 2005 15:47

ann i have the same problem and in extreme cold air find it hard to breath.my asthma nurse told me when people with asthma go out in cold air it restricts the air tubed.if you think about it whebn in summer your fingers swell up and in winter they go down that is what your tubes are like they restict air coming in because they shrinkxxxmy advice to you which my nurse told me is to have a hot drink.take a falsk of hot tea and drink every so often to open your air tubes up.honest to god it worksxxxxx(:

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 26 Jan 2005 15:52

Trouble is Lisa - I know what it feels like when the cold air hits my lungs and yes flask of hot tea - fine - however one of the bits I have picked up I think a large sleigh takes the guests up the mountain to the lodge for the wedding - so it looks as if no matter how I try I cannot avoid the cold air. Dont want to mess up a happy day.

♥ Katz

♥ Katz Report 26 Jan 2005 15:53

Cant honestly say how it will affect you. I've been skiing a couple of times and, this may sound silly, but up in the ski resorts it's a completely different type of cold. I went 2nd week in February both times to France, and can honestly say never felt that cold even though the temperatures were someway below freezing at times. It feels colder here now then it did skiing. It's a different type of air, clearer, fresher. sorry that's not much help. Kxx

Lisa

Lisa Report 26 Jan 2005 15:55

ann you must be gettin alittle anxious.i really have no other suggestions apart from seeing your doctor.hope all goes wellxxxx(:

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 26 Jan 2005 15:59

It will be the doctor for advice but was just hoping an asthmatic might come on who has tried skiing!!!

Lisa

Lisa Report 26 Jan 2005 16:00

ann i really don't think that anyone else will give you the answer apart from your G.p whose the best person xxxx(: