General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Train seats material?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Daniel

Daniel Report 27 Jan 2005 08:13

Anyone know what they would have used to make the seats on trains in about 1900. Would google myself but getting ready for college but will be able to check here later on. Thanks.

badger

badger Report 27 Jan 2005 08:35

I would assume ,the same as the upholstery industry of the time.Wood, metal springs [on the 1st glass coaches],kapock ,and cloth,third class coaches had the stuffing on wood boards.The welsh coaches had wood and varnish,the trip on the ffestiniog railway is lovely ,the scenery fantastic ,but the seats?oh my poor bum.Fred.ptfg&g.

Rupert

Rupert Report 27 Jan 2005 09:02

In Australia I'm sure they would have been wood slats . In 1970 I saw one that was in use on a very short haul from St Kilda into Melbourne city centre. It hurt the bum as well. To be fair the trains generally were better for seats than their English counter parts. Rupert Bear.

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Jan 2005 09:21

Dan, Thinking of films & TV progs made about the period, I would agree with what's already been said, but the posh first-class carriages seem always to be shown with plush velvet upholstery. I expect the film-makers went for authenticity. CB >|<

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 27 Jan 2005 12:07

I believe there used to be 1st class AND second class, then third Daniel. I think 3rd was wooden slats whilst 1st - very deeply upholstered seats with antimacassars whilst 2nd somewhere in between. If you cannot find on web suggest you contact some of the volunteer railways. Ann

June

June Report 27 Jan 2005 12:09

How about looking on the railway museums web sites June