General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help decryphering...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Greg

Greg Report 28 Jan 2005 10:53

I have a wedding certificate here which I could use some help with. http://www.antiquark.org/images/family/MartinDURKINHonorMURPHYWedding.JPG I think the residence at the time of marriage is "High Street, Stockport" for Martin Durkin, but not sure what it is for "Honor Durkin" It looks like B****** B***, and I have a sneaky suspicion that it could be something Barn? I also think the fathers names are Laurence Durkin and Anthony Murphy respectively.... Any ideas on the residences? Cheers

Geoff

Geoff Report 28 Jan 2005 11:19

I would say the second B word was "Brow" - it was quite commonly used in Cumberland. I have now found a Google reference to Bamber's Brow, Stockport, so I guess that must be it.

Greg

Greg Report 28 Jan 2005 11:21

Fantastic, thanks very much for that. Cheers

Ian

Ian Report 28 Jan 2005 11:27

Greg, not so easy as it first looks! I would go along with the names. As for the address - Benlors Brae, Benlors Brow, Benlors Barn? Sorry cannot decipher any better. Ian

Greg

Greg Report 28 Jan 2005 12:55

Thanks very much again for all your help. I have to say, Geneology must have been a much lonlier and harder exercise before the Internet and genesreunited! Cheers

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 28 Jan 2005 13:04

Looks like Bembors Brow? Think I'd have to agree with Geoff. I think Bridget is a Mulvaney.

Geoff

Geoff Report 28 Jan 2005 14:47

I would say the witnesses' names were Daniel McConvil and Bridget Mulowney (possibly instead of Maloney).