General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does Anyone Know Anything About Blood Groups??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanna

Joanna Report 28 Jan 2005 20:51

My mother once implied that my 'Dad' wasn't related to me. I didn't really follow this up as she was a little deranged at the best of times and plain drunk at the worst. Both my parents blood groups were O Positive yet mine is B Positive. Does anyone know if this is possible?

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 28 Jan 2005 20:57

Don't know a lot - but my husband and I are both A positive as is our daug. son however is something else I think it is AB not sure - when i first found out I thought there was a mistake and I rang the Blood Bank to check and they explained it to me. Ann

Abigail

Abigail Report 28 Jan 2005 21:05

Dear Joanna An explanation of the basic ABO grouping system may help. AA Only A given to baby AB Either A or B given to baby AO Either A or O given to baby All of the above are A blood group people BB Only B given to baby BA (same as for group AB) BO Either B or O given to baby All of the above are B blood group people OO only O given to baby The above are the O blood group people The way these are inherited is by a gene from each parent. O blood group people may donate blood to any other blood group but may only receive from O group. Each parent supplies only one gene but will have two genes to "choose" from. This is how you get the baby's combination. There are also other ways of grouping blood. The other well known one is Rhesus (either positive or negative), ie, +ve +ve Positive blood group people +ve -ve Positive blood group people -ve -ve Negative blood group people Negative blood group people may donate to anyone if their ABO blood group is compatible. Positives may donate to other positive types but not to negatives. There are other systems which may come into play during tissue typing etc, for transplants and so on. I hope this helps you to sort out the information you have been given. If you want to clarify it you need to have both parents blood types and your own. In my case though I tend to think of my biology and parenthood as two very separate issues. If I can help you further email me or I will check the thread again. Abigail

Joanna

Joanna Report 28 Jan 2005 21:47

Thanks everyone - food for thought :)

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 29 Jan 2005 00:03

Having looked at this table, I googled and to quote 'that it is possible for a child to have a different group from that of parents, even if they are of the same group'. It is to do with antigens. I know I was so concerned by my son's being different to the rest of us that I insisted on speaking to a doctor at the blood bank as only a few years before when my husband had given blood in 'civvy street' and his card came through he had a different blood group to that on on his identity disc which he had worn throughout his Forces life! They double checked as a result of this and the outcome was that the Forces blood grouping was wrong. Thank God he never needed a transfusion whilst in there in spite of having served in dangerous situations. Ann

Karen

Karen Report 30 Jan 2005 02:41

i always wanted to know my blood group for yrs , however i could not obtain it only when i gave blood that was how i knew..

Red

Red Report 30 Jan 2005 02:45

All i know about my blood is that im Rhesus negative, The hospital told me that only 15% have my blood group, could they call on me if needs be, i said yes of coarse but never heard off them.

Maz from Cornwall

Maz from Cornwall Report 30 Jan 2005 02:46

A child may have a different blood type than either parent. Traits like blood type are inherited from parents on genes. For each trait, people have at least two genes (sometimes more but we don't need to complicate the picture to understand the answer to your question). One gene for each trait comes from the mother and one gene from the father. Some genes are dominant, which means if you have just one gene for that trait, you will have the trait. Some traits are recessive which means that for the trait to show up you need both genes for that trait. A and B blood types are dominant traits. O blood type is a recessive trait. If a person has two genes for A (AA) or one gene for A (AO) his blood type will be A. If a person has one gene for B (BO) or two genes for B (BB) his blood type will be B. A person can only have O blood type if he has two genes for O (OO). If two people have a child and one parent has type A (AO) and the other parent has type B (BO), their child could have A (AO) blood, B (BO) blood), AB (AB) blood, or O (OO) blood. If they had a child with AB blood that would be a different blood type than either parent, but it's easy to see that it's a mixture of the genes for their blood types. The child with type O is also a mixture of the genes from both parents since each parent contributed a gene for O blood type.

Red

Red Report 30 Jan 2005 02:53

MAZ How do you manage so much info this late on?????

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Jan 2005 08:35

I'm AB+ my wife was O-

Lisa

Lisa Report 31 Jan 2005 16:00

please do not quote me on this but to have a different blood group from your fathers could be a possibility that he is not your father.i would have a chat with your g.p and finally find out the truthxxxx(:

helenbell

helenbell Report 31 Jan 2005 16:02

my mum dad and brother are all positive A i was the only one with negative A Helen(Bell)