General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Really peeved with GRO. What would you do? UPDATE!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deborah

Deborah Report 29 Jan 2005 12:22

Should I E-mail them? See below.

Deborah

Deborah Report 29 Jan 2005 12:22

Ordered 3 certs on Thursday on Priority Service (despatched next day for an extortionate fee). Because there were 2 births reg for the same name only one quarter apart, had to give details of both with a checking reference and pay for both of these to be checked. As anyone who has used this service will know, that this won’t leave me much change out of £100. But fool that I am, don’t really have a problem with the cost, as I don’t do it often, and cannot wait 3 weeks for the ordinary service. The certs should have been sent yesterday, and expected them this morning. Postman came, no certs! Rang GRO just to reassure myself that the post had failed and they were on there way, but annoyed that they would obviously not arrive now until Monday. No such luck. Your man at the GRO says they are not on their way, what’s more they haven’t even been processed yet, but they will be done on Monday, so you should receive them on Tuesday, OK? NO! Not OK says I, why weren’t they done yesterday? Because the order wasn’t passed through until after 4pm (the deadline for orders) even though I ordered them around 2.15pm!! Obviously questioned him about a discount, you’re surely not going to charge me priorty rates now, are you? Well, he would note that I wasn’t happy and they might give a discount, but he couldn’t promise, and not to quote him on that! What would you do? I’m so peed off, I can’t tell you! Should I e-mail them? Anyone else had this problem? Debbie

Deborah

Deborah Report 29 Jan 2005 13:05

Hi Linda, Haven't read the small print. They are definitely at fault here! The agreed deadline for the day (by phone or On-line) is 4pm. If you order after 4pm your order is immediately delayed by a day, this works for standard and priority orders. I ordered these by phone. The lady actually said "These will be posted on Friday afternoon" Throughout the day, the orders are collected, at various times, and forwarded to either the standard or priority dept. And at 4pm, usually a little later, the chap said, the last collection is done for that 'day'. Up to that point anything ordered priority is dealt with next day. In this case Friday. Anything ordered after that is deemed as received on Friday, and issued on Monday, as they don't issue on Saturdays! For some reason the order I placed at 2ish on Thursday has been logged as received on Friday (after 4pm Thurday) I am really annoyed. I have written an e-mail but not sent it yet. Worried that I might make the situation worse?! Debbie

~♥ Daisy ♥~

~♥ Daisy ♥~ Report 29 Jan 2005 13:10

Debbie Your phone bill (or calls register if you used a mobile) should record the time you made the call, so that might help you if you need some sort of proof. Daisy

Deborah

Deborah Report 29 Jan 2005 13:14

Hi Daisy, Yes, I did suggest this as a possible solution. Unfortunately used the land-line, rather than my mobile so would have to wait for the next bill. Though I did tell him I was sure of the time, as I had e-mailed someone, who was helping me with my research, that I had ordered the certs, and could forward this to them. The e-mail was timed 14:38 27/01/2005. So it was definitely before that time! Debbie

~♥ Daisy ♥~

~♥ Daisy ♥~ Report 29 Jan 2005 13:19

If they won't budge, perhaps ring your phone company and ask them to send an updated itinerary and tell GRO that's what you're doing! Daisy

Deborah

Deborah Report 29 Jan 2005 13:30

I've sent the e-mail, to which they always "aim to reply to all complaints made by letter, fax or e mail within ten working days." That's a joke in itself. 10 working days, that's fortnight! Will just have to wait for the certs to arrive, and see how much they have charged me. Then possibly take up the battle again then. Debbie

Karen

Karen Report 29 Jan 2005 14:02

Hi Deborah Werent you able to order the certs from the local register office? whenever I've order from the local office I have received them the next day for no extra charge - ie £7 and you dont have to give all the GRO details, as long as you can tell them what quarter theyre searching in and any other info youve got eg parents names etc. Karen

Deborah

Deborah Report 29 Jan 2005 16:33

Hi Karen, I have done this many times too, much preferred. Don't use the GRO where I can help it, now, since they started taking 3 weeks to get here! Unfortunately time was against me that day, I couldn't find the right RO's ( 2 different offices involved I think), and not one I had used before. Got a bit lost in the system as they say! Being the very impatient person that I am, I ordered from GRO as barring accidents with post, they would have guaranteed me a delivery today! Debbie

June

June Report 29 Jan 2005 16:57

I would email them and register a complaint. About 12 months ago, I was asked to complete a questionaire on the GRO's service, so I think they would like to know about this. June xx

Deborah

Deborah Report 29 Jan 2005 17:27

Hi Julie, After dithering a while I did send the e-mail off about lunchtime. I've really let this get me down today! Daft really isn't it, they're only bits of paper concerning people who have been dead for a 100 years!! Why do we let this hobby rule our lives so much? Have resigned myself now, that I can make them come before Tuesday now. Shall spend the time answering queries on the RO Board. Can't get motivated on my own stuff today. Debbie

Deborah

Deborah Report 31 Jan 2005 17:31

Thank you for your words of encouragement, to those that replied. As you know, I did e-mail them, eventually on Saturday afternoon. Was delighted to receive an e-mail from the GRO today, apologising for the inconvenience, and that they have "arranged for your account to be refunded with the priority fee." Won't know for sure, till they arrive, with the credit card slip, but it seems they may be discounting all the Priority fee? What a result if they have!! Certainly restored my faith. Debbie