General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do you think that they are all called James?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Daniel

Daniel Report 29 Jan 2005 14:58

I'll post it in a sec.

Daniel

Daniel Report 29 Jan 2005 15:00

The article says: "with the result that three men - James Allen, Finnegan (the driver) and Taylor - where thrown out." Unsure as to whether the article is only naming Mr. Allen as James or all three? What do you think?

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Jan 2005 15:12

Sloppy journalism. nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Jan 2005 15:19

from a jounalistic point of view - JAMES ALLEN Finnegan was one person and Taylor was someone else and had his full details previously mentioned in the article - the snippet you have given puts it all out of context or you havent thought of the possiblity that it is all surnames - James, Allen , Fuinnegan (who was the driver) and Taylor

Daniel

Daniel Report 29 Jan 2005 15:22

No no, It does say three men, and later on it refers to each one invidually but only addressing each as Mr. Looks more and more likely to be bad research on the paper's part.

Daniel

Daniel Report 29 Jan 2005 15:24

Yes I noticed they were surnames She, just as only James Allen was given a full name I wasn't sure if they were all called James. See what I mean?

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Jan 2005 15:25

James-Allen could be a double barrell name

~♥ Daisy ♥~

~♥ Daisy ♥~ Report 29 Jan 2005 15:37

Hi Daniel Either a double barrelled name for the first, or the main text revolved around James Allen and the others were "bit" players and so only referred to by their surnames. Daisy

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Jan 2005 17:09

Dan, If another person with the surname 'Allen' was mentioned in the same article, maybe the journalist put in 'James' to distinguish between the two. Just a thought. CB >|<