General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Homework ?? what is the name for a castle wall

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 31 Jan 2005 18:18

apart from the only one i can think of fortress wall thankyou

~♥ Daisy ♥~

~♥ Daisy ♥~ Report 31 Jan 2005 18:19

Bailey?

Joan Palmer

Joan Palmer Report 31 Jan 2005 18:21

Curtain walls (Googled castle walls ) Joan

Sandra

Sandra Report 31 Jan 2005 18:22

thankyou helping grandson, didn't think to google

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 31 Jan 2005 18:25

There is a term Curtain Wall,Ramparts,Berms,Defenses crenelations-Will these do for a start

Sandra

Sandra Report 31 Jan 2005 18:30

thankyou all for your help, something when they come to nanny for help, i got most of the ones with him, asking him questions as to what they were, he's 7 and they just gave him a picture of a castle with arrows to the different parts, no lesson to accompany it. Hes a happy little bunny now lol sandra

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Jan 2005 18:40

Technically I think a castle wall is called a castle wall. nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Jan 2005 18:41

Helen Noooooo, really?

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Jan 2005 20:01

The Oxford English Dictionary says 'bailey' means a castle wall. I remember learning about 'motte and bailey' castles at school, but couldn't remember which was which. It says a 'motte' is the mound of earth piled up to act as the foundation for building the castle. 'Crenellations' are the slits in the walls which arrows could be fired through. CB <|>

~♥ Daisy ♥~

~♥ Daisy ♥~ Report 31 Jan 2005 20:04

My daughter finished learning about Motte & Bailey castles last term. She's Year 6 if that's any help - they're probably all doing it this year! I'll see if I can find the brilliant website we used. Daisy

Essex Baz

Essex Baz Report 31 Jan 2005 20:06

I always thought it was called `Ramparts` Baz

~♥ Daisy ♥~

~♥ Daisy ♥~ Report 31 Jan 2005 20:08

Think this is the one we used. www(.)btinternet(.)com/~timeref/mottb3d(.)htm Remove brackets. Daisy