General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I have run into a snag (experiencing the joys of g

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Adam

Adam Report 8 Jul 2007 02:40

Ok, my problem is that I have details for my father's, mother's father, but my problem is that he changed his name after jumping ship off a navy (i think, didnt get the full details from my paternal grandmother, as i was only after genealogy, not family history) vessle, and he changed his name from gough to murphy. My problem is that I dont know which name I should use, for now i have it set up like this 'Murphy (Gough?)', but I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas on how to display it. I am only asking because he had at least one brother in the state of Victoria who obviously still has his original surname. But when it comes to my great grandfather, he had his new name on his marriage certificate and on my grandmother's birth certificate. Surely this is nowhere near a unique problem as people changing their names after running away from military service is in no way unheard of. I just want to know if anyone else has encountered this, and if they have, could you tell me what you did? Thankyou.