General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Leeds

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Jul 2024 12:55

Horrific what happened there. But I am a bit confused by newspaper reports. In one paragraph it referred to Roma people living in the community and in another it referred to the same community as being occupied by Romanians. Any idea which it should be?

either way no excuse for all the vandalism.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Jul 2024 13:21

Roma people from Romania perhaps.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 20 Jul 2024 14:22

Got it in one Names. both the same. :-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Jul 2024 14:24

I don’t think it is. Not all Romanians are Roma.
Roma are the underclass in Romania.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 20 Jul 2024 14:27

O oo I havee learnt something today then ;-) :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Jul 2024 14:32

I googled it and Roma is not necessarily Romanians. Interesting if you google it.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 20 Jul 2024 14:33

Am I correct in saying that this story revolves around children being removed from a Roma family by social services?And that this caused upset etc and then things kicked off?

I actually thought "Roma" was another word for Gypsies, but maybe I'm wrong there?
Ah names yes maybe if gypsies were classed as underclass, that would make sense I guess.

Even so whatever the cause, no excuse for all this car burning and riots etc. If I was living in that area, I would be terrified.