General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

world chaos

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Jul 2024 12:28

How one mistake in one written code has caused mayhem across the world to those using Window (Microsoft 365)

From doctors surgeries to Airports, all waiting for the fix before resuming services.

Is it just me that is surprised that all these services rely on the same system? :-0 :-S

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Jul 2024 12:31

from Mil on line

The most serious IT outage the world has ever seen': Government holds emergency Cobra meeting after Microsoft meltdown sparks global chaos with planes and trains grounded, GPs in mayhem, shops closed, football tickets cancelled and TV channels offline

Follow the Microsoft outage live blog for the latest news on the system failure

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Jul 2024 12:57

Another upgrade causing problems. They always do, don’t they :-|

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Jul 2024 13:04

Thankfully not usually on this scale. Not that, so far it has affected me

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 19 Jul 2024 14:33

It only affects 'hosted' servers, things that rely on cloud storage etc. Many organisations worldwide use the same software for e.g. reservations, ticketing and many don't store their data on their own machines but use 'the cloud'.

I do some voluntary work for an organisation in Bath, their office systems are on Microsoft 365 so that it can be used by users all over the place, and that has 'gone down'.

The bigger, faster and easier things get, the harder they fall :-0

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 19 Jul 2024 14:52

I’m not surprised that so many organisations rely on the same system. There really aren’t that many systems that could operate on such a large scale and, of those, Microsoft/Windows is the biggest. Global businesses have got to use systems that are at least compatible with each other. I remember RolloTheRed used to advocate using Linux but I think that was more for our pcs.

Tbh, if I were stuck in a hot airport today or trying to get a doctor’s appointment I’d be as fed up and irritated as the next man but If you think about the billions of major computer operations that successfully take place worldwide every day the systems are pretty robust.

Best get off my high horse before I fall off ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Jul 2024 14:53

Makes you wonder how cashless pubs and shops are doing!
Perhaps they'll see the advantage - not only to their customers, but to themselves - of having a choice!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 19 Jul 2024 17:20

As I understand it, you are OK if you switch your computer off at night. By the time they were switched on again this morning the amended update had been sent and they are all OK. The updates are sent automatically but the computers all have to be rebooted manually, so most companies don't have enough staff available.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 19 Jul 2024 19:29

I have Windows 10 PC and yes i do shut it down at night. But no problems with my system today or any shops i went in as was out in town. I used my card in a few places and our airport was operating normally.

Maggie, I always carry £100 cash in my purse for the " just in case." If i spend less than £10, I pay in cash.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Jul 2024 12:46

I don't shut my computer down and I didn't have a problem.