General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Heat alert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Jun 2024 11:10

I see most of the UK is now going under a heat alert. As someone who has just spent a week under a heat dome (in Ontario) I feel for you. Our temp has been in the 30's and some days in the 40's and not cooling at night that much but our saving grace is most of us have air conditioning.
Enjoy the weather!!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Jun 2024 11:16

Not sure ours is due to go up that far this time, air conditioning is something our builders should be thinking of for the future. At the moment here it is sunn and 18 degrees so not hot but very pleasant. (11am)

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 23 Jun 2024 11:45

Our temperatures are nothing compared to some other countries but it’s often a dry heat overseas. Here it’s the humidity that’s so draining but you know us Brits. We’re only happy if we’re moaning about the weather ;-)

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Jun 2024 11:48

Yes we've had high humidity it's not fun at all.
If we don't talk about the weather what is there to talk about :-D

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 23 Jun 2024 11:49

No 1 Son in the Midwest has experienced 30 degrees plus, for the last week or so.

And bang in the middle of it, his air-con, conked out :-| :-|

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Jun 2024 04:16

We've had 25+ on 3 days this past week, with as much as 98% humidity, and not much cooler at night. We don't have air conditioning, but we do have fans for every room, and follow the "rule" to keep curtains closed on the sunny side and open on the shady side. Although that doesn't help too much when you also have skylights!

Caroline

Caroline Report 24 Jun 2024 13:50

Skylights = heat flumes

AC conking out not great Motowngal hope he got it fixed quickly.

Sylvia did you get the thunder and heavy rain like we did? Never had a week long heat dome and green grass still so every cloud and all that :-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 Jun 2024 14:45

Afternoon all looking in.
No heatwave here lol but to all those experiencing hot weather, please take great care. keep hydrated and use good sun screen.

Keeping the curtains drawn is what my grandma used to do and her rooms were always so cool in mid summer.

stay safe all

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Jun 2024 14:33

I'm taking advantage of the heat, and washing my pillows.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Jun 2024 15:47

It’s times like this when you suddenly realise that is no c & p from the Guardion explaining why it is so hot. ;-) ;-) ;-). Or who and why we should vote for.

New members don’t worry, you are not expected to understand.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 25 Jun 2024 15:57

:-D :-D :-D :-D names

Island

Island Report 25 Jun 2024 16:05

LOL @ names :-D :-D :-D
I think I must have missed the departure flounce :-S

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Jun 2024 16:39

Was there a flounce or just a big hole?

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 25 Jun 2024 17:18

There is no heat wave here. The temperature is 17.5 and it has ben raining since about midday. :-(

I'm glad I'm not down south as that would be far too hot for me. When we lived in the tropics we didn't use the air conditioning. We reckoned it was better to get acclimatised and then we didn't have the big temperature change every time we went in or out of the house. As others have said, though, it was a dry heat and not so bad as the humidity we get here.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 25 Jun 2024 19:27

It has been a pleasant day but not hot about 16 degrees and right now dark clouds are overhead so i dont think the rain is far away.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 27 Jun 2024 10:31

Ah! Bliss

It almost feels cold - about 20 degrees, overcast and grey. Probably going up a bit later with the sun coming out.
Looking foreward to a good nights sleep. :-)